Differential Equations / Analysis

In summary, The given equations are f''(x)=-f(x) and f(2x)=2f(x)f'(x). To find all solutions, the form acos(x)+bsin(x) is proposed, but it must be proven that this form includes all solutions. The use of linear algebra and cos/sin as a basis is suggested, and it is noted that the first equation is simple harmonic motion with a general solution unique up to two constants. The second equation can be used to solve for these constants, resulting in a special unique solution.
moo5003

Homework Statement

Determine all infinitely differentiable real functions f(x) that satisfy f''(x)=-f(x) and f(2x)=2f(x)f'(x) for all real x. How do you know that you have exhibited all of them?

The Attempt at a Solution

f''(x)=-f(x)

I want to say the solutions to such an equation would be of the form:
acos(x)+bsin(x), but its hard to prove that this form consists of all solutions.

In class the teacher said that there are some differential equation classes that would tell you that this equation has two indepdendent solutions and since my form has two independent variables (a,b) that it makes up all solutions, but I'm not allowed to use this fact as I have yet to take the class. So, my main concern before I introduce the second restriction of f(x)f'(x)2=f(2x), is how do I validate that my form spans all possible functions that satisfy f''(x)=-f(x).

I'm leaning toward using linear algebra in some capacity and having cos/sin as a basis though I'm not sure how to proceed with this line of thought.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first equation is simple harmonic motion with angular frequency of oscillation = 1. This equation has a general solution that is unique up to two constants, A and B. http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SimpleHarmonicMotion.html Use the second equation to solve for the constant(s). If you can determine both constants (A and B) then you will have found a special unique solution.

Last edited:

Related to Differential Equations / Analysis

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that involve an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model and describe various physical phenomena, such as motion, growth, and change.

2. What is the purpose of differential equations?

The main purpose of differential equations is to express mathematical relationships between a quantity and its rate of change. They are also used to make predictions and solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding an exact expression for the unknown function, while numerical solutions use algorithms and computer programs to approximate solutions.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables. ODEs are used to model systems with one variable, such as motion in one dimension, while PDEs are used for systems with multiple variables, such as heat transfer in a two-dimensional object.

5. Why are differential equations important in science and engineering?

Differential equations are essential in science and engineering because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They can also be used to design and optimize systems and processes, making them crucial for technological advancements.