1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations - maximal interval

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Write an interval formula for the solution

Explicitly find the maximal interval I about 0 on which we can solve the following differential equations
    2. f'(x) = xf(x)

3. [tex]f'(x)=[f(x)]^2[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    b. [tex]f(x_{0})=y_{0}[/tex]
    [tex]e^{b(x-x_{0})}+ \int{e^{b(x-t)}h(t)dt}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. By applying the formula, it yields
    [tex]f(x)=e^{2(x-1)}0+ \int_0^x{e^{2(x-t)}dt}=\left[ -\frac{1}{3}e^{3x-2t}\right]\right|^{x}_{1}= \left[ -\frac{1}{3}e^x- \left(- \frac{1}{3}e^{3x-2} \right) \right][/tex]

2. I tried dividing f(x) from both sides of the f'(x) equation then I know that [tex]\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}= \frac{d}{dx} \left[ lnf(x) \right] [/tex], but I do not know how to procede from here.

3. I've tried using the same method with part 2 except that I divide one f(x) from both sides which yields [tex] \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}=f(x)[/tex]. Again I'm stuck. Any hints, tips, or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2
    alright, let's see.

For 1), you accidentally changed your lower bound from 0 to 1. Also, for some reason, you multiplied [tex]e^{2(x-1)}[/tex] by 0, which you should not have done.

Both 2) and 3) are simple separation of variables problem. However, I'm not entirely sure what the question means by "maximal interval". The maximum with respect to x? If so, than you don't even need to solve the differential equation. Instead just solve for x and determine whether or not its increasing or decreasing at those points.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?