Differential equations of forced oscillation and resonance

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 3K views
MissP.25_5
Messages
329
Reaction score
0
How do I derive A? As you can see in the attachment, I tried to substitute x and expand the equation but I got stuck. How do I get rid of the δ and cos and sin to get the result in the end? Please help!
 
Attachments
  • IMG_4422.jpg
    IMG_4422.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_4424.jpg
    IMG_4424.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
I would leave (omega*t-delta) alone while calculating the various derivatives. The sines and cosines with this argument do not need expanding until you have done you calculations.
 
SteamKing said:
I would leave (omega*t-delta) alone while calculating the various derivatives. The sines and cosines with this argument do not need expanding until you have done you calculations.

OK, what do I do next? I don't expand it, and here's what I got.
 
Attachments
  • IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 494
Where did the plain 'ω' come from in the last line of your calculations?

Specifically, the term (ωe^2 - ω^2)?
 
MissP.25_5 said:
OK, what do I do next? I don't expand it, and here's what I got.

Now you expand the cosine and sine terms and equate same to the RHS of the equation.
In your first attempt, you differentiated δ w.r.t. time. This was incorrect. The phase angle δ is constant w.r.t. time, which was one reason your original derivation got so unwieldy.
 
SteamKing said:
Now you expand the cosine and sine terms and equate same to the RHS of the equation.
In your first attempt, you differentiated δ w.r.t. time. This was incorrect. The phase angle δ is constant w.r.t. time, which was one reason your original derivation got so unwieldy.

So, you're saying that I don't have to bother the one with the delta? That would mean doing partial differentiation, right?
 
There is no partial differential involved. If you take the derivative of cos(ωt-δ), you will get -ω*sin(ωt-δ). The δ represents a constant phase angle; it is not a function of t.

Now that you have your LHS in terms of sin and cos, now is the time to expand, for instance, cos(ωt-δ) using the angle difference formulas. You then solve for the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms on the LHS which correspond to whatever sine and cosine terms you have on the RHS.
 
SteamKing said:
There is no partial differential involved. If you take the derivative of cos(ωt-δ), you will get -ω*sin(ωt-δ). The δ represents a constant phase angle; it is not a function of t.

Now that you have your LHS in terms of sin and cos, now is the time to expand, for instance, cos(ωt-δ) using the angle difference formulas. You then solve for the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms on the LHS which correspond to whatever sine and cosine terms you have on the RHS.

So you mean, equate LHS and RHS and then substitute them back into the equation? But the right hand side only has F/cos(ω_e*t).
 
Look at these notes:

http://web.pdx.edu/~larosaa/Ph-223/Lecture-Notes-Ph-213/PH-213_Chapter-15_FORCED_OSCILLATIONS_and-RESONANCE_%28complete-version%29.pdf

By the time you get to p. 6, you should see the method illustrated.
 
SteamKing said:
There is no partial differential involved. If you take the derivative of cos(ωt-δ), you will get -ω*sin(ωt-δ). The δ represents a constant phase angle; it is not a function of t.

Now that you have your LHS in terms of sin and cos, now is the time to expand, for instance, cos(ωt-δ) using the angle difference formulas. You then solve for the coefficients of the sine and cosine terms on the LHS which correspond to whatever sine and cosine terms you have on the RHS.

Ok, now what should I do? The right hand side only has cos(w_e*t). And even so, if I did equate the sin and cosine, what should I do with it? I would still have cos(w_e*t) on the right side, don't I?
 
Attachments
  • IMG_4486.jpg
    IMG_4486.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 483
If you read the attached notes from post#10, you would see how to handle this.
 
SteamKing said:
If you read the attached notes from post#10, you would see how to handle this.

Thanks for the post. That really hepls a ton. But my answer is a little different. How come my denominator and numerator are inverted?
 
Attachments
  • IMG_4488.jpg
    IMG_4488.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
It's hard to tell from your posted calculations. After expanding the cosine and sine terms which contain the phase angle δ, on the LHS there will be sin δ and cos δ terms mixed in with the cos(ωet) and sin (ωet) terms. You use the phase angle triangle to determine sin δ and cos δ in terms of the other known quantities before solving for A.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
SteamKing said:
It's hard to tell from your posted calculations. After expanding the cosine and sine terms which contain the phase angle δ, on the LHS there will be sin δ and cos δ terms mixed in with the cos(ωet) and sin (ωet) terms. You use the phase angle triangle to determine sin δ and cos δ in terms of the other known quantities before solving for A.

But in my calculation, I already determined the sin δ and cos δ, see I drew the triangle?
 
SteamKing said:
It's hard to tell from your posted calculations. After expanding the cosine and sine terms which contain the phase angle δ, on the LHS there will be sin δ and cos δ terms mixed in with the cos(ωet) and sin (ωet) terms. You use the phase angle triangle to determine sin δ and cos δ in terms of the other known quantities before solving for A.

Hey, I got it!Look! Thank you soooo much!
 
Attachments
  • IMG_4489.jpg
    IMG_4489.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 523
Last edited: