1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations RLC Circuits

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A series RLC circuit has an electromotive force given by E=200e^(-100t) V, a resistor of 80 ohms, an inductor of 0.2 H, and capacitor of 5x10^-6 F. If the initial current and charge on the capacitor are zero, find the current at any time t>0.

2. Relevant equations

??

3. The attempt at a solution

i am not begging for someone to solve the whole problem for me, just to get it started

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

OK, start by observing that the same current is flowing through all three components (R, L and C) at any time t because they are in series. Call this current [itex]I(t)[/itex].

Let the voltage drop across each of the components be represented by [itex]V_R(t), V_L(t)[/itex] and [itex]V_C(t)[/itex].

Can you now list some equations relating [itex]I(t)[/itex] to each of those voltages?

What can you say about the sum of those three voltages (Kirchoff's laws)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook