Solving Differential Equations: Techniques and Methods

In summary, solving differential equations with variable coefficients requires different techniques and often involves new functions. Linear equations with variable coefficients can be transformed into constant coefficient equations by a change of variable. There are also series methods and numerical methods for solving these types of equations. However, the most general method for solving differential equations is to know the answer and check if it is a solution, or to hammer the equation until it becomes recognizable and can be solved. It is recommended for students in fields that do not require solving differential equations to simply check the solutions given in textbooks rather than trying to follow the complicated procedures taught in courses. However, it is important to have a grasp of the standard methods for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. There is also a more general
der.physika
Okay, so I was sitting in my room wondering about the differential operator [tex]D[/tex]. Like for example, solving the equation

[tex]y\prime\prime+5y\prime+4y=0[/tex]

introduce [tex]D=\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

[tex](D^2+5D+4)y=0[/tex]

so you can solve it by doing [tex]D=-4[/tex], [tex]D=-1[/tex]

[tex]e^-^4^x+e^-^x[/tex] is the solution

But how the hell do you solve? [tex]y\prime\prime+2xy=0[/tex]

or (with other variables involved?)

[tex]xy\prime+y=e^x^y[/tex]

or [tex]2yy\prime\prime=(y\prime)^2[/tex]

what is the method? What are the techniques?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't. Linear equations with variable coefficients require completely different techniques and often "new" functions. For example, the general solution to "Bessel's equation of order 0": [itex]x^2y''+ xy'+ x^2y= 0[/itex] involve the Bessel functions of the first and second kind (which are defined as solutions to Bessel's equation).

The special case of "equi-potential" or "Euler type" equations, which are of the form [itex]ax^2y"+ bxy'+ cy= 0[/itex], the coefficient of each derivative involving simply x to the same power as the degree of the derivative, can be changed to "constant coefficients" equations by the change of variable t= ln(x).

But other than that, the most general methods for linear equations with variable coefficients involve infinite sums: Assume a solution of the form [itex]y(x)= \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n[/itex], put that and its derivatives into the equation and try to get a recursive equation for [itex]a_n[/itex].

There are as mentioned series methods. There are numerical methods that give you numerical small step by small step solutions that computers can plot out for you as curves etc. if you give them input initial conditions and numerical constants of the d.e. when necessary. Very necessary for practical applications. But you often like the analytical solutions you are calling for, formulae, for qualitative insight, or further mathematical treatment - others may explain you motives.Then in the books you find there is only one way to solve a differential equation. That is to know the answer! You do know how to differentiate? There is a general method for that. So if you do know the solution you can check that it is a solution. Or at least if you know the outline of the solution you can do the differentiations and knock the constants or ill-ftting bits into shape till you know you have the right answer. What they teach you in d.e. courses is, by examples, to excercise your eye till you realize you do already know the solution to some at first sight unrecognisable things. Or else how to hammer them till they become in a form you recognise. It is intellectually despicable and some of it is a fraud but parts of it are useful and it has a horrible fascination.

E.g. your second one below

der.physika said:
But how the hell do you solve? [tex]y\prime\prime+2xy=0[/tex]

or (with other variables involved?)

[tex]xy\prime+y=e^x^y[/tex]

or [tex]2yy\prime\prime=(y\prime)^2[/tex]

what is the method? What are the techniques?
because I have learned to look for that sort of thing, I recognise is [tex](xy)'=e^x^y[/tex]

i.e. let [tex](xy)'=w[/tex] and it is [tex]w'=e^w[/tex] which you probably can solve, or rather know the solution of, already.

Your last example took a bit more hammering till I recognised y = x2 is a solution.
I could probably do the first but I felt I should control this vice.

I'd suggest many students, say of chemistry, biology, economics and even physics if they are not going to have to solve d.e.'s in their profession would save themselves trouble by not following proceedures by which the books and profs. pretend to solve them, but going straight to the solutions given and checking them. It's just as good if you only want to understand the physics. Then perhaps working back see what they're doing.

Well maybe not quite 100% of Profs. will agree with me,
cahesouslachaise.gif
and I will say there is a bit of doctrine about linear d.e.s with constant coefficients that is best to make part of you. Grasp of this is also useful in qualitative analysis of d.e.'s that you can't actually solve analytically - particularly useful in mathematical biology.

I have heard echos of and can vaguely intuit a more general approach than the standard ragbag, involving Lie Groups, but it is not at all so widely known, and it is reasonable to suppose that if it were very practical it would be widely known.

Last edited:

1. What are differential equations and why are they important in science?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. They are important in science because they can be used to model and predict the behavior of complex systems and processes, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

2. How are differential equations different from regular equations?

Regular equations involve only one variable, while differential equations involve multiple variables and their derivatives. This allows for a more dynamic and accurate representation of changing systems.

3. What are some common methods for solving differential equations?

Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using the method of undetermined coefficients. Other methods such as numerical approximation and Laplace transforms may also be used depending on the type of differential equation.

4. Can differential equations be used in real-life applications?

Yes, differential equations have a wide range of real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of various systems and processes, making them a vital tool for scientific research and problem-solving.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when working with differential equations?

Yes, one of the main challenges is that differential equations can become very complex and difficult to solve analytically. This often requires the use of numerical methods or approximations to find solutions. Additionally, accurately modeling a real-life system with differential equations may require simplifications and assumptions, which can affect the accuracy of the results.