Differential equatn involving cos^2 and sin^2 in denominator

In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of solving the ODE (9cos^2(x) + 4sin^2(x)).dy/dx = 6 to find y in terms of x. The solution involves rearranging the equation, using the standard integral formula for arctan, and integrating both sides to get y/6 + C = 1/6 tan^(-1)((2 tan(x))/3). There is some confusion about the value of the constant, with one person obtaining 1/2 and the other obtaining 1/6. The conversation ends with a request for clarification.
DryRun
Gold Member
Homework Statement
(9cos^2(x) + 4sin^2 (x)).dy/dx = 6

The attempt at a solution
Rearranging:

(1/6).dy = 1/(9cos^2(x) + 4sin^2 (x))

(1/6).dy = 1/((3cos(x))^2 + (2sin(x))^2)

L.H.S becomes y/6 after integrating.

The R.H.S. (denominator):
(3cos(x))^2 + (2sin(x))^2
I take out cos^2(x)
This leaves me with:
(9 + 4tan^2(x))
Then i use the standard integral formula for arctan
And i get: (1/3)arctan (2tanx/3)

Then I'm stuck...

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to find?

It's almost perfect. The LHS is y/6 + C. The RHS is 1/6 tan^(-1)((2 tan(x))/3).

What's y(x) then ?

TaxOnFear said:
What are you trying to find?
Solving the ODE to get y in terms of x.dextercioby, for the R.H.S, after i worked it out, i get 1/2 tan^(-1)((2 tan(x))/3)
I used substitution t=tanx to integrate R.H.S.

Based on the formula: integral of 1/(a^2 + x^2) is 1/a tan^(-1)(x/a) + C

So, i don't understand how you got 1/6 instead of 1/2

I got the 1/2 by: 1/3 x 3/2 (obtained by dividing by the differentiation of 2t/3)

Last edited:
Any help?

Hmm...

[tex] ... = \frac{1}{9}\int \frac{dx}{\left(\frac{2}{3}\sin x\right)^2 + \cos^2 x} = ...= \frac{3}{18} \int \frac{dp}{p^2 +1} = ... [/tex]

Fill in the blanks.

1. What is a differential equation involving cos^2 and sin^2 in the denominator?

A differential equation is an equation that contains derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function. In this case, the equation involves trigonometric functions cosine squared and sine squared in the denominator.

2. What is the general form of a differential equation involving cos^2 and sin^2 in the denominator?

The general form of a differential equation involving cos^2 and sin^2 in the denominator is dy/dx = f(x)/g(x), where f(x) and g(x) are functions that contain cosine squared and sine squared terms in the denominator.

3. Why are differential equations involving cos^2 and sin^2 in the denominator important?

These types of differential equations are important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and electrical engineering. They help describe and model real-life situations where the rate of change of a function is affected by trigonometric functions.

4. How are differential equations involving cos^2 and sin^2 in the denominator solved?

These equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, substitution, or use of trigonometric identities. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and the techniques the solver is comfortable with.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations involving cos^2 and sin^2 in the denominator?

Some examples of real-world applications include modeling the oscillations of a pendulum, analyzing the behavior of electrical circuits, and predicting the movement of celestial bodies in space. These equations are also used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and control systems.