Differentiating First-Order Linear ODEs with an Integrating Factor

In summary: Already,y/(t+1)+4t^2+4t=0 so dy/dt=-4t^2+4tand you can differentiate this by using the following technique:d/dt= -4t^2+4tIn summary, Solve the differential equations specified using an integrating factor.
hansbahia
Solve the differential equations specified using an integrating factor.
a) Find the general solution of the differential equation
dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^(-t^2)
b) Solve the initial-value problem
dy/dt = 1/(t+1)y + 4t^2 + 4t, y(1) = 10

Physics news on Phys.org
You were asked to read rules for this forum when you registered and it appears that you did not do that. First, you titled this "Differential Homework" (which was good of you) but did not post it in the homework section. Second, you have shown no attempt to solve the problem yourself- we will be happy to help you do your homework but we will not do it for you. And seeing what you have done and where you get stuck or go wrong will help us give hints and suggestions.

Now, the problem says "using the integrating factor". Do you know what an "integrating factor" is? There is standard method of finding an integrating factor for a linear equation and both of these equations are linear. Do you know that method?

I will move this to the homework section for you.

Sorry I forgot,
let me ask it again...
About using integrating factor, how can I find the general solution of the differential equation, let’s use a different equation dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^(-t^2)
Also how to solve the initial-value problem dy/dt = 1/(t+1)y + 4t^2 + 4t, y(1) = 10

I know that is an integrating factor is a function that is selected to make easy the solving of a given equation involving differentials. Also, I know, for example if we have y’+P(x)y=Q(x), after doing all the math the integrating factor would be equal e^(Integral of P(x)dx). But how do I do, when the equations are complicated like above

Already,

so dy/dt = 1/(t+1)y + 4t^2 + 4t, y(1) = 10

by using the integrating factor(IF)

IF= e^(integral of P(x))
P(x)= 1/(t+1), so IF=e^(1/(t+1))=e^(ln(t+1))=t+1

now that I have the integrating factor I multiply everything by t+1

dy/dt = 1/(t+1)y + 4t^2 + 4t
(t+1) dy/dt = (t+1)(1/(t+1))y + (t+1)4t^2 + (t+1)4t
multiplying...
(t+1)dy/dt = y + 4t^3+4t^2 + 4t^2+4t
adding the ts...
(t+1) dy/dt = y + 4t^3 + 8t^2+4t, 4t^3 + 8t^2+4t= (t+1)(4t^2+4t)
dividing both sides by t+1

(t+1)/(t+1) dy/dt = (y + (t+1)(4t^2+4t))(t+1)

simplifying...

dy/dt= y/(t+1)+4t^2+4t

Now how can I differentiate this first-order linear ordinary equation?

FAQ: Differentiating First-Order Linear ODEs with an Integrating Factor

What is "Differential Homework"?

Differential homework is a type of assignment given in a science or math class that involves solving differential equations. These equations are used to model real-world situations and describe how one variable changes in relation to another.

Why is "Differential Homework" important?

Solving differential equations is a fundamental skill in many scientific and mathematical fields. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems in various situations, making it an important tool for research and problem-solving.

What are some common applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are commonly used in physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and analyze systems such as population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and motion of objects.

What are the different methods used to solve differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. These methods involve manipulating the equations to isolate the variable and finding a general solution or a particular solution for a given initial condition.

What are some tips for successfully completing "Differential Homework"?

Some tips for successfully completing differential homework include understanding the basic concepts and methods, practicing regularly, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor when needed. It is also important to carefully read and understand the problem, and to check your work for accuracy and errors.