Differential Mode Gain and 1/2 circuit

In summary, the conversation includes someone asking for help with a problem and another person suggesting alternative methods to solve it. They also discuss the potential of charging the Earth with non-local extracting force, and the conversation ends with one person apologizing for a mistake and the other providing a hint for solving the problem.
perplexabot
Gold Member
Hey all! I have been trying this problem for a while and can't seem to get the same answer as the solution. If someone can tell me where I am going wrong, that would be much appreciated. I am very close to the solution, but I am missing a term in the denominator. Everything is shown below! Thank you for your time.

Homework Statement

crkt_andQ.png

Homework Equations

(the solution from the solution manual)[/B]
theSol.png

The Attempt at a Solution

myT.png

I am getting stumped. Please help : /
Thanks for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the two halves are coupled both at the emitters and collectors I would not try to use the "1/2 d.m. model" at all. Write the usual equations, I would go with kvl (actually I just sum currents to zero at every dependent junction which is basically the same set of equations.)

If you HAVE to use the d.m model I cannot be of help.

Likes berkeman and perplexabot
rude man said:
Since the two halves are coupled both at the emitters and collectors I would not try to use the "1/2 d.m. model" at all. Write the usual equations, I would go with kvl (actually I just sum currents to zero at every dependent junction which is basically the same set of equations.)

If you HAVE to use the d.m model I cannot be of help.
Hmmm, ok. I will consider trying without half circuits. I don't have to use the 1/2 crkt model, I just thought it would be easier.

Thank you

perplexabot said:
Hmmm, ok. I will consider trying without half circuits. I don't have to use the 1/2 crkt model, I just thought it would be easier.
Thank you
It would have been except for RL and RE.
I will keep the answers to myself until you come up with your answers, then let you know how they look.

Likes perplexabot
pallidin said:
I agree with Integral. This scheme involves no more than a power distribution network, and a very poor one at that.
To "charge" the Earth with any measurably useful non-local extracting force would require a placement of an earth-charging generation device likely to boggle the imagination, and likely far surpassing any ability we have.
Furthermore, what would be the point?
A considerable amount of energy would be required to charge the earth, for one, and the Earth's exceptionally poor conductivity would create current losses far exceeding the rationality of efficient distribution.
In my opinion, the idea is dead from the start.
Ok, thank you. I'm in the middle of finals week, I will post an answer, just not too soon. I appreciate your help.

perplexabot said:
Ok, thank you. I'm in the middle of finals week, I will post an answer, just not too soon. I appreciate your help.
?
Different thread.

rude man said:
?
Different thread.
Lol, I wonder where that quote came from?! That is weird, I was trying to quote your previous reply. My reply is still valid, except the quote is wrong. Let me try and remove it. I apologize for that.

perplexabot said:
Lol, I wonder where that quote came from?! That is weird, I was trying to quote your previous reply. My reply is still valid, except the quote is wrong. Let me try and remove it. I apologize for that.
No prob.
Actually a pretty involved analysis. 7 equations, 7 unknowns.
For c.m. gain a hint: consider symmetry!

Likes perplexabot
The main problem I see is that you have calculated the voltage across RE/2 using the voltage divider formula applied to the input voltage Vi. But the current into RE/2 isn't just the current flowing down through rπ; you also have to include the current flowing down from the dependent current source, so you can't just use the voltage divider formula.

Likes perplexabot

1. What is differential mode gain?

Differential mode gain is the ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage for a differential amplifier. It measures the amplification of the difference between two input signals.

2. How is differential mode gain calculated?

Differential mode gain is calculated by dividing the change in output voltage by the change in input voltage for a given input signal. This can be represented as a formula: Gdm = ΔVout/ΔVin.

3. What is the significance of differential mode gain in circuit design?

Differential mode gain is an important factor in circuit design because it determines the amplification of the differential input signal. A high differential mode gain can result in a more sensitive and precise amplifier, while a low gain can lead to a less accurate output signal.

4. How does differential mode gain differ from common mode gain?

Differential mode gain and common mode gain are two different measures of amplification in a differential amplifier. Differential mode gain measures the amplification of the difference between two input signals, while common mode gain measures the amplification of the average of the two input signals.

5. What is a 1/2 circuit in relation to differential mode gain?

A 1/2 circuit is a type of differential amplifier circuit where each input signal is amplified by half of the gain of the overall circuit. This helps to minimize the effects of common mode noise on the output signal.