1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Operator

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    This may seem like an odd question, but why are there two different ops for the normal and partial derivatives? i.e., [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]? I don't see a difference if only one is used, since we are always differentiating wrt a single variable anyway.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2005 #2
    think of it....

in classical mechanics, you can have functions like the action [itex]L[/itex] wich is defined in the form

[tex]L=L(x,y,z,t)[/tex],

but [itex]x=x(t)[/itex], [itex]y=y(t)[/itex], [itex]z=z(t)[/itex], so

[tex]\frac{d L}{d t}=\frac {\partial L}{\partial x} \dot{x}(t)+\frac {\partial L}{\partial y} \dot{y}(t)+\frac {\partial L}{\partial z} \dot{z}(t)[/tex]

wich clearly is different from [itex]\partial L/\partial t[/itex].

EDIT:

Sorry, my mistake... the derivative is missing one term. It should be read

[tex]\frac{d L}{d t}=\frac {\partial L}{\partial x} \dot{x}(t)+\frac {\partial L}{\partial y} \dot{y}(t)+\frac {\partial L}{\partial z} \dot{z}(t)+\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}[/tex]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  4. Dec 13, 2005 #3
    Interesting. I never encountered those. Then again, I'm not in physics.

5. Dec 13, 2005 #4
    The above are functions present in Hamiltonian systems, wich are a big subject of study for mathematitians too... Specially in P.D.E.

EDIT:

Not to mention Calculus of Variations.

6. Dec 13, 2005 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

one came first, d/dx, and the other is a generalization of it, but asking what d/dx of some object is is strictly different from asking what partial d by dx of it is since the former assumes that the other variables (if there are any) are a function of x too. That is to say that if f(x)=x+y then

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]

makes sense but

[tex] \frac{df}{dx}[/tex]

doesn't

7. Dec 13, 2005 #6
    Wait, if [tex]f(x)=x+y[/tex], wouldn't [tex]\frac{df}{dx}[/tex] make sense since y is a constant? That is, [tex]\frac{df}{dx}[/tex] does not make sense if it was [tex]f(x,y)=x+y[/tex]?

8. Dec 13, 2005 #7

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And what if y weren't a constant? come on, put the pieces together, you should be able to correct the obvious mistakes that people make! Dear God.

9. Dec 13, 2005 #8
    Fascinating.

10. Dec 14, 2005 #9

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's another reason for the disticntion.

I give you y, jsut y, now differentiate it with respect to x. What's the answer? dy/dx or 0?

I suppose it is unfair of me to expect you to recognize silly errors from catastrpohically bad ones, not to mention hypocritical perhaps.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?