Why are there two different ops for normal and partial derivatives?

In summary, the two different operations are because one is for functions that depend on x and the other does not.
Treadstone 71
This may seem like an odd question, but why are there two different ops for the normal and partial derivatives? i.e., [tex]\frac{d}{dx}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]? I don't see a difference if only one is used, since we are always differentiating wrt a single variable anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
think of it...

in classical mechanics, you can have functions like the action [itex]L[/itex] which is defined in the form

[tex]L=L(x,y,z,t)[/tex],

but [itex]x=x(t)[/itex], [itex]y=y(t)[/itex], [itex]z=z(t)[/itex], so

[tex]\frac{d L}{d t}=\frac {\partial L}{\partial x} \dot{x}(t)+\frac {\partial L}{\partial y} \dot{y}(t)+\frac {\partial L}{\partial z} \dot{z}(t)[/tex]

wich clearly is different from [itex]\partial L/\partial t[/itex].

EDIT:

Sorry, my mistake... the derivative is missing one term. It should be read

[tex]\frac{d L}{d t}=\frac {\partial L}{\partial x} \dot{x}(t)+\frac {\partial L}{\partial y} \dot{y}(t)+\frac {\partial L}{\partial z} \dot{z}(t)+\frac{\partial L}{\partial t}[/tex]

Last edited:
Interesting. I never encountered those. Then again, I'm not in physics.

The above are functions present in Hamiltonian systems, which are a big subject of study for mathematitians too... Specially in P.D.E.

EDIT:

Not to mention Calculus of Variations.

one came first, d/dx, and the other is a generalization of it, but asking what d/dx of some object is is strictly different from asking what partial d by dx of it is since the former assumes that the other variables (if there are any) are a function of x too. That is to say that if f(x)=x+y then

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]

makes sense but

[tex] \frac{df}{dx}[/tex]

doesn't

Wait, if [tex]f(x)=x+y[/tex], wouldn't [tex]\frac{df}{dx}[/tex] make sense since y is a constant? That is, [tex]\frac{df}{dx}[/tex] does not make sense if it was [tex]f(x,y)=x+y[/tex]?

And what if y weren't a constant? come on, put the pieces together, you should be able to correct the obvious mistakes that people make! Dear God.

Fascinating.

Here's another reason for the disticntion.

I give you y, just y, now differentiate it with respect to x. What's the answer? dy/dx or 0?

I suppose it is unfair of me to expect you to recognize silly errors from catastrpohically bad ones, not to mention hypocritical perhaps.

Last edited:

1. What is a differential operator?

A differential operator is a mathematical operator that acts on a mathematical function to produce another function. It is commonly used in calculus and differential equations to describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives.

2. How is a differential operator represented?

A differential operator is typically represented using symbols such as d/dx or to indicate the operation of taking the derivative with respect to a particular variable. It can also be represented using specific operators, such as the gradient operator or the Laplace operator 2.

3. What are some common examples of differential operators?

Some common examples of differential operators include the derivative operator d/dx, the gradient operator , the divergence operator ∇⋅, and the Laplace operator 2. These operators are often used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe the behavior of functions and physical systems.

4. How are differential operators used in real-world applications?

Differential operators are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are particularly useful in modeling and analyzing complex systems, such as fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. Differential operators also play a crucial role in the development of mathematical models and equations that describe the behavior of physical systems.

5. What is the relationship between differential operators and differential equations?

Differential operators and differential equations are closely related, as differential equations are equations that involve differential operators. In fact, differential equations are often written using differential operators, such as the second-order differential equation 2y = f(x), which uses the Laplace operator to describe the relationship between the function y and its second derivative with respect to x. Differential operators are useful tools for solving differential equations and understanding the behavior of solutions to these equations.