Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentials in Integrals

1. Dec 6, 2005 #1

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I was just wondering about the dx and the end of an integral and evaluating integrals by substitution. When you evaluate integrals by substitution you can treat the dx as the differential of x. This seems to convenient lol. Some one must ahve known that the dx in an integral was the differential of x all along when they decided to end the integral symbol with the term dx! Could someone please give me insight into this. Jeeze I hope Im making some kinda sense here.:tongue2:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2005 #2

tmc

you mean something like this?

[tex]
    \[
    \begin{array}{l}
    y = 3x^2 \\
    \frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = 6x \\
    dy = 6xdx \\
    \int {dy} = \int {6xdx} \\
    y = 3x^2 \\
    \end{array}
    \]
    [/tex]

4. Dec 6, 2005 #3

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

yeah but i don't need to know how they work but why you can treat the dx in an integral as a differential. I know it sounds weird bear with me.

5. Dec 6, 2005 #4

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well generally, when you learn basic calculus such as that is stated above, without the integral sign dx on its own it's just lazy notation and not rigorously defined. It's just a bit of time and hides a bunch of results in it such as the Fundamental Theorems of Calculus:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FundamentalTheoremsofCalculus.html

However, dx can actually be rigorously defined on its own and is frequently used in such subject matter as Vector Calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?