Why can the dx in an integral be treated as a differential?

In summary, the dx in an integral can be treated as the differential of x, which allows for convenient notation and hides important results such as the Fundamental Theorems of Calculus. However, it can also be rigorously defined on its own and is used in other areas of calculus, such as Vector Calculus.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I was just wondering about the dx and the end of an integral and evaluating integrals by substitution. When you evaluate integrals by substitution you can treat the dx as the differential of x. This seems to convenient lol. Some one must ahve known that the dx in an integral was the differential of x all along when they decided to end the integral symbol with the term dx! Could someone please give me insight into this. Jeeze I hope I am making some kinda sense here.:tongue2:

Physics news on Phys.org
you mean something like this?

[tex]
\[
\begin{array}{l}
y = 3x^2 \\
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = 6x \\
dy = 6xdx \\
\int {dy} = \int {6xdx} \\
y = 3x^2 \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

yeah but i don't need to know how they work but why you can treat the dx in an integral as a differential. I know it sounds weird bear with me.

G01 said:
yeah but i don't need to know how they work but why you can treat the dx in an integral as a differential. I know it sounds weird bear with me.
Well generally, when you learn basic calculus such as that is stated above, without the integral sign dx on its own it's just lazy notation and not rigorously defined. It's just a bit of time and hides a bunch of results in it such as the Fundamental Theorems of Calculus:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FundamentalTheoremsofCalculus.html

However, dx can actually be rigorously defined on its own and is frequently used in such subject matter as Vector Calculus.

1. What are differentials in integrals?

Differentials in integrals refer to the infinitesimal changes in the independent variable (usually denoted by dx) that are used to calculate the change in the dependent variable (usually denoted by dy) in a given integral. They are an important concept in calculus and are used to find the area under a curve or the volume of a solid.

2. How are differentials used in integrals?

Differentials are used in integrals to represent small changes in the independent variable, which are then multiplied by the derivative of the function to calculate the change in the dependent variable. This allows for the calculation of areas and volumes that would otherwise be impossible to find using basic geometry.

3. What is the difference between a differential and a derivative?

A differential (dx) is an infinitesimal change in the independent variable, while a derivative (dy/dx) is the ratio of the change in the dependent variable to the change in the independent variable. In other words, a derivative is the rate of change of a function, while a differential is the actual change in the variable.

4. Why are differentials important in calculus?

Differentials are important in calculus because they allow for the calculation of areas and volumes under curves, which is essential in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also help simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve.

5. Can differentials be used to approximate values?

Yes, differentials can be used to approximate values of functions. This is known as linear approximation, where the derivative of the function at a specific point is used to estimate the value of the function at that point. This method is especially useful when calculating values for functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.