Differentiate formula for amount of charge on capacitor

In summary: Well, in summary, the chain rule allows you to solve a composite function with derivatives by taking the logarithm of each term.
Hassss
Hi

Ive got some calculations to do on amount of charge on a capacitor with respect to t.

Formula for amount of charge on a capacitor is Q=5.7ln4.5t

I need to determine the rate of discharge with different values of t, t=5ms t=7.5ms

I know i need to differentiate the formula against time as it will give me the rate of charge.

Ive completely forgotten how to apply calculus and would sincerely appreciate any help and advice!

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what ##\frac{d}{dx}\ln (x)## is? How much of calculus have you forgotten? Do you know the chain rule?

Matterwave said:
Do you know what ##\frac{d}{dx}\ln (x)## is? How much of calculus have you forgotten? Do you know the chain rule?

Hi

the last time i did calculus was approx 1 1/2 years ago I've literally have no clue what the chain rule or the relationship you've stated means! :(

Hmm, that might make this kind of difficult!

Well, the chain rule says, given functions f(x) and g(y) if I have a composite function g(f(x)) then the derivative with respect to x is:

$$\frac{d}{dx}g(f(x))=\frac{dg}{df}\frac{df}{dx}$$

As an example, if I have, say ##\sin(5x)## and I want to take the derivative with respect to x, I know that ##\frac{d}{dx}\sin(x)=\cos(x)## and so if I take g(y)=sin(y) and f(x)=5x, then by the chain rule I can find:

$$\frac{d}{dx}\sin(5x)=\frac{d}{dx}\sin(f)=\cos(f)\frac{df}{dx}=5\cos(5x)$$

Also, note that the ln is the natural logarithm defined such that:

$$\int_1^x \frac{1}{y}dy=\ln(x)$$

By the fundamental theorem of calculus, then we know:

$$\frac{d}{dx}\ln(x)=\frac{1}{x}$$

Can you use this information to solve your problem?

What is the formula for calculating the amount of charge on a capacitor?

The formula for calculating the amount of charge on a capacitor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

What is the relationship between charge and voltage on a capacitor?

The amount of charge on a capacitor is directly proportional to the voltage across it. This means that as the voltage increases, the amount of charge stored on the capacitor also increases.

How do you differentiate the formula for amount of charge on a capacitor?

To differentiate the formula Q = CV, we can use the power rule of differentiation, which states that d/dx(x^n) = nx^(n-1). In this case, the derivative of Q with respect to time (t) is dQ/dt = C(dV/dt).

What factors affect the amount of charge on a capacitor?

The amount of charge on a capacitor is affected by the capacitance (C), voltage (V), and time (t). A larger capacitance will result in a larger amount of charge, as will a higher voltage and longer time period.

How does the amount of charge on a capacitor change over time?

The amount of charge on a capacitor changes over time according to the formula Q = Q0(1-e^(-t/RC)), where Q0 is the initial charge, t is time, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads. As time increases, the amount of charge will approach but never reach the initial charge Q0.