Differentiating U_{ave} with respect to beta using summation notation

In summary, the problem is to find the derivative of U_{ave} with respect to beta, where U_{ave} is defined as the sum of U_k multiplied by the exponential of -U_k beta, divided by the exponential of -U_k beta. The correct answer is -(U_{ave}^{2})+(U_{ave})^{2}, which can be derived using a standard integral in statistical mechanics and a trick involving the second derivative of the natural logarithm. The original equation given in the question may be incorrect, as it does not match the standard form for this type of problem.
raintrek

Homework Statement

Find [tex]\frac{dU_{ave}}{d\beta}[/tex]

where

[tex]U_{ave}=\sum_{k}\left(\frac{U_{k}exp(-U_{k}\beta)}{exp(-U_{k}\beta)}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is supposed to be [tex]-(U_{ave}^{2})+(U_{ave})^{2}[/tex]

However I keep getting zero. I can only assume that the summation sign has something to do with the final form of the answer, but I have no idea how to deal with it. Can anyone offer a suggestion? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you've written the problem incorrectly here. As you've written it,

[tex]U_{ave}=\sum_{k}\left(\frac{U_{k}exp(-U_{k}\beta)}{exp(-U_{k}\beta)}\right) = \sum_k U_k [/tex]

What it should be is

[tex]U_{ave} = \frac{\sum_k U_k e^{-U_k \beta}}{\sum_k e^{-U_k \beta}}[/tex]

This is a standard integral in statistical mechanics, and there's a neat trick that always goes along with solving it. Supposing U_k is indepent of beta, write the denominator as

[tex]-\sum_k \frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} e^{-U_k \beta}[/tex]

Pull the derivative outside the sum, and you note that what you have looks like (1/y) dy/dx = d(ln y)/dx. Then, take the second derivative of that result:

[tex]-\frac{\partial}{\partial \beta} \frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \beta} = \mbox{answer}[/tex]

where [itex]Z = \sum_k \exp(-U_k \beta)[/itex].

Last edited:
Hmm, I've transcribed the problem straight from the question sheet. I too had that thought.

I'm not sure I follow you with your methodology though. If I try to solve the equation using the standard quotient rule, it gives me zero - is there a reason for that?

Related to Differentiating U_{ave} with respect to beta using summation notation

1. What is "tricky differentiation"?

Tricky differentiation refers to the process of finding the derivative of a function that involves complex or challenging mathematical concepts. This can include functions with multiple variables, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions.

2. How is "tricky differentiation" different from regular differentiation?

While regular differentiation involves finding the derivative of simple and straightforward functions, tricky differentiation requires a deeper understanding of mathematical principles and may involve more complex techniques such as the chain rule, product rule, and quotient rule.

3. What are some common techniques for solving "tricky differentiation" problems?

Some common techniques for solving tricky differentiation problems include using the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and the power rule. It is also important to have a thorough understanding of algebra and trigonometry to successfully tackle these problems.

4. How can I improve my skills in "tricky differentiation"?

To improve your skills in tricky differentiation, it is important to practice solving various types of problems and to have a strong foundation in calculus and other related mathematical concepts. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to improve your understanding of these techniques.

5. How can "tricky differentiation" be applied in real-world scenarios?

Tricky differentiation has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to calculate the rate of change of a moving object, the growth rate of a population, or the marginal cost of production for a company. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.