Differentiation and continuity

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the functions sin|x| and cos|x| are differentiable at x=0. While the original poster believes they are, the person responding points out that the limit must exist from both sides for the derivative to exist and that the limit given for the cosine of the absolute value is incorrect.
macjack
Can anyone tell me whether sin|x| and cos|x| is differentiable at x=0 ?
As far as i know, cos(x) and sin(x) is differentiable at all x.

If i try to solve this,
lim h->0 (f(x+h) - f(x))/h
when x=0, and substitute cos|x| for f(x).

lim h->0 (cos|h| - cos|0|)/(h) = 1,

so cos|x| is differentiable at x=0 right ?

And for sin|x| ...if i continue doing the same as my previous try,
lim h->0 (sin|h| - sin|0|)/(h) = limh->0 sin|h|/h = 1 .

So both are differenatiable at x=0 as per my explanation,
but the answer given is in another way.

Can you please let me whether it is correct or not ?

Thanks

Mac

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is (at least partially) incorrect.

For the derivative to exist, the limit must exist from both sides, and be the same. Also, your limit on the cosine of the absolute value is incorrect.

What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process of finding the rate of change of a function at a particular point. It involves calculating the slope of a curve at a specific point, which is also known as the derivative of the function.

What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is the process of finding the derivative of a function, while integration is the process of finding the area under a curve. In other words, differentiation is used to determine the rate of change, while integration is used to determine the total amount of change.

What is the chain rule in differentiation?

The chain rule is a rule in differentiation that allows you to find the derivative of a composite function (a function within a function). It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

What is continuity?

Continuity refers to the smoothness and connectedness of a function. A function is continuous if there are no abrupt changes or breaks in the graph. This means that the function can be drawn without lifting the pencil from the paper.

How do you test for continuity?

To test for continuity, you can use three criteria: 1) the function is defined at the point in question, 2) the limit of the function exists at the point, and 3) the limit is equal to the value of the function at that point. If all three criteria are met, then the function is continuous at that point.