1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation problem

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is the larger problem to the small portion that I already posted in the Precalc Hw help forum. I still can't figure out how to get to the answer.

The problem is this:
    I am trying to find the derivative of [tex]f(x)=x+\frac{9}{x}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    I know via power rule that the answer will be:
    [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=1+\frac{9}{x^{2}}[/tex]
    However, I must do it the messy way. :grumpy:

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is what I have got so far:
    1.[tex]\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}[/tex]

2.[tex]=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{\left((x+h)+\frac{9}{x+h}\right)-\left(x+\frac{9}{x}\right)}{h}[/tex]

3.[tex]=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{x+h+\frac{9}{x+h}-x-\frac{9}{x}}{h}[/tex]

4.[tex]=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}\frac{h}{h}+\frac{\frac{9}{x+h}}{h}-\frac{\frac{9}{x}}{h}[/tex]

5.[tex]=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}1+\left(\frac{9h}{x+h}-\frac{9h}{x}\right)[/tex]

6.[tex]=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}1+\left(\frac{x}{x}\cdot\frac{9h}{x+h}-\frac{9h}{x}\cdot\frac{x+h}{x+h}\right)[/tex]

7.[tex]=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}1+\frac{9hx-9hx-9h^{2}}{x(x+h)}[/tex]

8.[tex]=\lim_{h\rightarrow0}1+\frac{-9h^{2}}{x(x+h)}[/tex]

I don't know where to go from here or even if here is where I am supposed to be. Help please?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    Partial whos-a-what? :confused:

4. Sep 14, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You were doing fine until step 5. Then you changed (9/(x+h)-9/x)/h into (9h/(x+h)-9h/x). You can't do that. You just moved h into the numerator by 'magic'. Leave it in the denominator! You also don't want to multiply by h/h in the next step. You want to multiply by x/x to get the common denominator.

5. Sep 14, 2009 #4
    Ok thats where I went wrong. Thanks for your help. :biggrin: Btw the multiplying h/h was a typo, its supposed to be x/x.

6. Sep 14, 2009 #5
    Awesome. So going by what you said Dick, I figured out that I messed up by putting that h in the numerator (slopy fraction solving :) ) I worked it out and got the right answer. Thanks for your help Dick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook