Differentiation Rules - Products~

In summary, the curve has tangent lines with equations y=2x+1 and y=2-3x when x=0 and x=1, respectively. To find the values of a,b,c,d, we can use the information from the tangent lines and the given derivative of f(x). After solving for a and b, we get a=1 and b=-6. Therefore, the curve has the equation f(x)=x^4+x^3-6x^2+2x+1.
sp09ta
1. Suppose the curve f(x)=(x^4)+a(x^3)+b(x^2)+cx+d has tangent line when x=0 with equation y=2x+1, and a tangent line when x=1 with equation y=2-3x. Find a,b,c,d
2. d/dx f(x)g(x)=g*f`+f*g`
3. f`(x)=4x^3+3ax^2+2bx+c

x=0 y=2x+1 y=1 (0,1) is a point on f(x)
x=1 y=2x-3 y=-1 (1,-1) is a point on f(x)

This question really has me stumped... I just need a hint to get the ball rolling...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sp09ta said:
1. Suppose the curve f(x)=(x^4)+a(x^3)+b(x^2)+cx+d has tangent line when x=0 with equation y=2x+1, and a tangent line when x=1 with equation y=2-3x. Find a,b,c,d

2. d/dx f(x)g(x)=g*f`+f*g`

3. f`(x)=4x^3+3ax^2+2bx+c

x=0 y=2x+1 y=1 (0,1) is a point on f(x)

Okay, so f(0)= d= 1 and f'(0)= c= the slope of y= 2x+1.

x=1 y=2x-3 y=-1 (1,-1) is a point on f(x)
so f(1)= ... and f'(1)= ...

This question really has me stumped... I just need a hint to get the ball rolling...

Ok, then f(1)=a+b+4=-1 and f'(1)=3a+2b+6=-3

so, a+b+5=0 and 3a+2b+9=0

then I isolate b in the first equation and sub it into the second to get:
3a+2(-a-5)+9=0
a=1

Then use a to find the value of b

So my values are: a=1, b=-6, c=2, d=1

1. What is the product rule in differentiation?

The product rule is a differentiation rule that is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. When should the product rule be used?

The product rule should be used when differentiating a function that is a product of two or more simpler functions. It is especially useful when the two functions cannot be simplified or combined into a single function.

3. Can the product rule be extended to more than two functions?

Yes, the product rule can be extended to more than two functions. The general formula for the product rule with n functions is: (f1 * f2 * ... * fn)' = f1' * f2 * ... * fn + f1 * f2' * ... * fn + ... + f1 * f2 * ... * fn'.

4. What is the difference between the product rule and the quotient rule?

The product rule is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions, while the quotient rule is used to find the derivative of a quotient of two functions. The product rule involves multiplication and addition, while the quotient rule involves division and subtraction.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to remember the product rule?

There are a few mnemonic devices that can help with remembering the product rule. One popular one is "Low D High minus High D Low, over Low squared." This stands for: (f(x) * g(x))' = f'(x) * g(x) - f(x) * g'(x) / g(x)^2. It is important to note that these shortcuts are just tools to help with memorization, and it is still important to understand the concept and how to apply it correctly.