• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Difficult : Calculate equivalent resistance of the circuit problem .

• Thread starter agoogler
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Calculate the total equivalent resistance between A and D -
r8ibJ.png

( All resistors are 1 ohm )

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can see is that the two straight 1 ohm resistors are in parallel , giving 1*1/1+1= 1/2 resistance. But what next , please help !

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Homework Statement

Calculate the total equivalent resistance between A and D -
r8ibJ.png

( All resistors are 1 ohm )

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

The only thing I can see is that the two straight 1 ohm resistors are in parallel , giving 1*1/1+1= 1/2 resistance. But what next , please help !
It's not clear what you mean by "the two straight 1 ohm resistors", but try this...

Since B and C are open circuits for this question, delete their respective 1 Ohm resistors. Then re-draw the circuit, with A at the top and D at the bottom. See if you can draw the resistors in a more normal configuration, using this simplification...

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
The only thing I can see is that the two straight 1 ohm resistors are in parallel , giving 1*1/1+1= 1/2 resistance.
There are no resistors directly in parallel so the above can't be right.

Do what berkeman said.

It's not clear what you mean by "the two straight 1 ohm resistors", but try this...

Since B and C are open circuits for this question, delete their respective 1 Ohm resistors. Then re-draw the circuit, with A at the top and D at the bottom. See if you can draw the resistors in a more normal configuration, using this simplification...
Okay.
After deleting those two , I can see two pairs of resistors in series giving 2 each. Then these two 2 ohm resistors are in parallel , giving 1 ohm. Now these is in series with the remaining two 1 ohm resistors giving 3 ohm as the answer. Am I correct ?

I am sure that you are correct.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I agree.

According to Wheatstone bridge
Answer is 7/4 ohms that is 1.75 ohms
Am I correct ?

gneill
Mentor
According to Wheatstone bridge
Answer is 7/4 ohms that is 1.75 ohms
Am I correct ?
No. Show your work. Or better yet, start a new thread since this is a rather old thread (from 2013) and the Original Poster hasn't been logged in since 2015.