Difficult improper integral proof

In summary, the author is having difficulty solving a homework equation and is looking for help. Different methods have been tried, but all have failed. One possible approach is to differentiate the function and integrate to obtain a simpler expression, but this method fails when tried.
JG89

Homework Statement

Prove that [tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} exp(-x^2) \int_0^x exp(t^2) dt = 0 [/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question is giving me a lot of difficulty. I've tried a lot of different ways to do it, here is a list of ways that I've tried.

1) For t>= 1, we have [tex] 0 < exp(-x^2) \int_0^x exp(t^2) dt \le exp(-x^2) \int_0^x t e^(t^2) dt [/tex]. Letting x tend to infinity, the right side of the inequality tends to 1/2 and so the expression which we wish to find the limit of is bounded and monotonically decreasing, thus it must converge.

2) I've tried approximating e^(t^2) by (1 + t^2/n)^n for large enough n, and then expanding using the binomial theorem and integrating term by term, giving me a polynomial of degree n + 1. We can then find a number m such that x^m > the polynomial in question for large enough x. Then we must find the limit of x^m/e^(x^2) as x tends to infinity. Using the theorem that e^(x^2) becomes infinite of a lower order of magnitude than x^m, we know that this quotient must tend to 0. I'm a bit sketchy about this one because I think m must tend to infinity with x, which complicates things. I think it's best to drop this idea.

3) I figured that the integral of t^(1/n) e^(t^2) for t>=1 decreases monotonically towards e^(t^2) for increasing n, and so if I can show that this integral divided by e^(x^2) tends to 0 for increasing x, then that proves what I want to prove. I've tried integrating it with Mathematica but it starts talking about hypergeometric functions, which I know nothing about so I don't think this is a good approach at all.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi JG89

not 100% sure how or if this will work but if you let
[tex] f(x) = exp(-x^2) \int_0^x exp(t^2) dt [/tex]

could you try differentiating f(x) and then re-integrating to obtain a simpler expression for your limit?

Nope. Just tried it, and differentiating and then integrating back again just gives me the same expression. I don't see much manipulation I can do to the derivative so that when I integrate I get a simpler expression back.

Your limit has the form 0*infinity. Doesn't that suggest using l'Hopital's rule?

L'Hospital works, but I've never been taught that, so I figure I should be able to do this question without it.

JG89 said:
L'Hospital works, but I've never been taught that, so I figure I should be able to do this question without it.

That's annoying.

I'm surprised that my calc book (Courant's book) makes no mention of l'hopital's rule. I guess there is no other way to do this then?

There almost certainly is. But I can't figure out a clever way to side step it right now. You could figure out why l'Hopital is true and then reverse engineer the proof into a specific proof for this problem. But that doesn't seem to be a good use of time. I'm surprised as well you don't have l'Hopital to apply yet. It's seems perfect for it.

1. What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where either the upper or lower limit of integration is infinite, or the function being integrated is undefined at one or more points within the limits of integration.

2. Why are improper integrals difficult to prove?

Improper integrals are difficult to prove because they involve dealing with infinity and undefined functions, which can lead to complex and challenging mathematical manipulations.

3. What is the process for proving a difficult improper integral?

The process for proving a difficult improper integral involves breaking the integral into smaller, more manageable parts, using algebraic manipulations and substitution techniques, and then taking the limit as the upper or lower bound approaches infinity or an undefined point.

4. How do you know when a difficult improper integral is convergent or divergent?

A difficult improper integral is convergent if the limit of the integral exists and is a finite value. It is divergent if the limit does not exist or approaches infinity.

5. Can you provide an example of a difficult improper integral and its proof?

One example of a difficult improper integral is ∫1 e-x2 dx. To prove this integral, we can break it into two parts: ∫1c e-x2 dx and ∫c e-x2 dx, where c is a constant greater than 1. By taking the limit as c approaches infinity for both parts, we can show that the integral converges to √π/2. This can be further proven using the substitution u = x2 and evaluating the resulting Gaussian integral.