Difficult Improper Integrals in Real Analysis.

In summary, the conversation topic is about improper integrals in real analysis, specifically two difficult problems. The first problem involves finding a primitive of a function and the second problem involves using Laplace transforms to solve the integral. The conversation also discusses a forgotten formula and the approach for computing the integral along a specific path. The final result for the first integral is given as $\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{\alpha}\ \sin t\ e^{-t}\ d t = \frac{\Gamma (1 + \alpha)}{4\ \pi} \frac{(1 + i)^{1 + \alpha} + (1-i)^{1 + \alpha}}{2^{1 + \alpha
bw0young0math
Hello. I'm studying improper integrals in real analysis. However, two problems are very difficult to me. If you are OK, please help me.(heart)

View attachment 1549

I have solutions about above problems.
However, I don't know how I approach and find the way for solving them.

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 66.JPG
    66.JPG
    11.2 KB · Views: 84
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Help me~♡ Difficult improper integrals in real analysis.

bw0young0math said:
Hello. I'm studying improper integrals in real analysis. However, two problems are very difficult to me. If you are OK, please help me.(heart)

Let's consider the second integral. A primitive of the function is...

$\displaystyle \int \frac{d x}{x\ \ln^{\alpha} x} = \frac{ \ln^{1 - \alpha} x} {1 - \alpha} + c\ (1)$

... but the fact that the integral is from 0 to infinity introduces several difficulties. In particular for $\alpha> 1$ the (1) has a singularity in x= 1 and that means that the integral diverges and for $\alpha< 1$ the (1) tends to infinity if x tends to infinity and also in this case the integral diverges...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

We have to consider \(\displaystyle \alpha>-1 \) to solve the first integral by Laplace transform .

bw0young0math said:

Regarding to the first integral 'Monster Wolfram' supplies...

int e^(- x) sin x x^a from 0 to infinity - Wolfram|Alpha

How to obtain that result however is a difficult task...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ZaidAlyafey said:
We have to consider \(\displaystyle \alpha>-1 \) to solve the first integral by Laplace transform .

May be that the following 'forgotten formula' ...

http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/laplace-transform-7057.html#post32097

$\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{f_{1}(t)\ f_{2}(t)\} = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma - i\ \infty}^{\gamma + i\ \infty} F_{1} (z)\ F_{2}(s - z)\ dz\ (1)$

... is useful in this case. Here is $\displaystyle f_{1} (t) = t^{\alpha} \implies F_{1} (s) = \frac{\Gamma (1 + \alpha)}{s^{1 + \alpha}}$ and $\displaystyle f_{2} (t) = \sin t \implies F_{2}(s)= \frac{1}{1 + s^{2}}$. In any case that is not a trivial task...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Regarding to the first integral 'Monster Wolfram' supplies...

int e^(- x) sin x x^a from 0 to infinity - Wolfram|Alpha

How to obtain that result however is a difficult task...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I did not see the answer but I think it should be

\(\displaystyle \Im \left (\frac{\Gamma (\alpha +1)}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}}\right)\)

Last edited:

We may be considering finding the explicit values for the improper integrals, but is that really the question? Bw0young0math, are you interested in results for the integrals or just in the analysis of their convergence? :)

chisigma said:
May be that the following 'forgotten formula' ...

http://mathhelpboards.com/analysis-50/laplace-transform-7057.html#post32097

$\displaystyle \mathcal {L} \{f_{1}(t)\ f_{2}(t)\} = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i}\ \int_{\gamma - i\ \infty}^{\gamma + i\ \infty} F_{1} (z)\ F_{2}(s - z)\ dz\ (1)$

... is useful in this case. Here is $\displaystyle f_{1} (t) = t^{\alpha} \implies F_{1} (s) = \frac{\Gamma (1 + \alpha)}{s^{1 + \alpha}}$ and $\displaystyle f_{2} (t) = \sin t \implies F_{2}(s)= \frac{1}{1 + s^{2}}$. In any case that is not a trivial task...

An Italian adage says 'The Devil is not so ugly as You paint him' so that we try to compute the integral...

$\displaystyle I(s) = \int_{c - i\ \infty}^{c + i\ \infty} \frac{d z}{z^{1 + \alpha}\ \{1 + (s - z)^{2}\}}\ (1)$

... and we do that integrating along the path illustrated in the figure...

http://www.123homepage.it/u/i78713278._szw380h285_.jpg.jfif

If T tends to infinity the integral along the 'big circle' tends to 0 so that integral is given by...

$\displaystyle I(s)= - \lim_{z \rightarrow s + i} \frac{1}{z^{1 + \alpha}\ (s - z - i)} - \lim_{z \rightarrow s - i} \frac{1}{z^{1 + \alpha}\ (s - z + i)}= \frac{1}{2\ i\ (s+i)^{1 + \alpha}} + \frac{1}{2\ i\ (s-i)^{1 + \alpha}}\ (2)$

... so that the final result should be...

$\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} t^{\alpha}\ \sin t\ e^{-t}\ d t = \frac{\Gamma(1 + \alpha)}{2\ \pi\ i} I(1) = \frac{\Gamma (1 + \alpha)}{4\ \pi} \frac{(1 + i)^{1 + \alpha} + (1-i)^{1 + \alpha}}{2^{1 + \alpha}}\ (3)$

Since in pure calculus I am very poor, it should be useful that some 'young mind' verifies all that...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ZaidAlyafey said:
I did not see the answer but I think it should be

\(\displaystyle \Im \left (\frac{\Gamma (\alpha +1)}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}}\right)\)

\(\displaystyle (1-i) = \sqrt{2} e^{-i \frac{\pi }{4}}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}} = 2^{-\frac{1+\alpha }{2}} e^{i \frac{\pi (\alpha+1) }{4}}\)

\(\displaystyle \Im \left( \frac{1}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}} \right) = 2^{-\frac{1+\alpha }{2}} \sin \left(\frac{ \pi (\alpha+1) }{4} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle I = \Gamma \left(\alpha +1 \right)\Im \left( \frac{1}{(1-i)^{\alpha +1}} \right) = 2^{-\frac{1+\alpha }{2}} \sin \left(\frac{ \pi (\alpha+1) }{4} \right) \Gamma (\alpha+1)\)

However , W|A says that this result is for all \(\displaystyle \alpha >-2\) , so we have to extend it for the singularity at \(\displaystyle \alpha =- 1\).

Hello.
At first, I want to tell you I'm so sorry because I wrote problems in detail.

The problem is judging when the improper integrals are convergent.
(i.e., the problem is finding the ranges for the improperintegrals: convergent.)

I wrote the problems' solutions I have in my blog.
(The file is so large that I uploaded in my blog. Please click here. Thank you.)(heart)
I have solutions someone solved. However, i don't know how I have to solve them.

p.s. ZaidAlyafey sovled by using Laplace but I don't know Laplace.
Are my problems so difficult??

Last edited:
That result could of course be generalized.$ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} {e^{-ax}} \sin (bx) x^{s-1} \ dx \ (a,s >0)$

$ \displaystyle = -\text{Im} \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{-(a+ib)x} x^{s-1} \ dx $

$ \displaystyle = -\text{Im} \ \mathcal{L}\{x^{s-1} \}(a+ib) $

$ \displaystyle = -\text{Im} \ \frac{\Gamma(s)}{(a+ib)^{s}}$

$ \displaystyle = - \text{Im} \ \frac{\Gamma(s)}{\left( \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}} \right)^{s}} \ e^{-is \arctan \frac{b}{a}}$

$ \displaystyle = \frac{\Gamma(s)}{\left( \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}} \right)^{s}} \ \sin \left( s \arctan \frac{b}{a} \right)$And if $-1 < s < 0$,

$ \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty} {e^{-ax}} \sin (bx) x^{s-1} \ dx = \frac{\pi \csc (\pi s) }{\Gamma(1-s) \left( \sqrt{a^{2}+b^{2}} \right)^{s}} \ \sin \left( s \arctan \frac{b}{a} \right)$

Last edited:

What are difficult improper integrals?

Difficult improper integrals are integrals that cannot be evaluated using standard integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. They often involve infinite limits of integration or integrands that are difficult to manipulate algebraically.

What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of real numbers, functions, and sequences. It involves the analysis of limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration in the context of real-valued functions.

Why are improper integrals difficult?

Improper integrals can be difficult because they introduce the concept of infinity into the integration process, which is not typically encountered in standard integrals. This requires a more precise and rigorous understanding of limits and convergence in order to evaluate the integral correctly.

What are some common strategies for solving difficult improper integrals?

Some common strategies for solving difficult improper integrals include breaking the integral into smaller pieces, using symmetry to simplify the integrand, and utilizing special functions such as trigonometric or exponential functions. Another approach is to use a change of variables to transform the integral into a more manageable form.

How do difficult improper integrals relate to real-world applications?

Difficult improper integrals are commonly encountered in real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. They are used to calculate quantities such as center of mass, moments of inertia, and work done by a force. In these applications, the integral may represent a physical quantity that is not easily measured or observed, and thus requires a mathematical approach to evaluate.