Difficult Integrals (Calculus)

In summary, this is a forum where people discuss calculus problems. One user has asked for help with an integration problem involving the function sin(sin(x)). Another user explains that this integral cannot be evaluated with standard elementary functions and provides a link for proof. The original user then asks if it can be evaluated as an infinite sum, and the second user provides a link that states it can be represented as such.
CalculusManiac
This is a forum where we chat about calculus problems that people are wondering about. I would greatly appreciate it if people also help answer some integration problems that have been nagging me for a while. Like ∫sin(sin(x))dx. Thanks Guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that, but is there any way we can evaluate it as an infinite sum? Thanks for your help.

Related to Difficult Integrals (Calculus)

1. What are difficult integrals in calculus?

Difficult integrals in calculus are integrals that cannot be easily solved by using basic integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. They often involve complex functions, multiple variables, or non-elementary functions.

2. How can I identify a difficult integral?

A difficult integral can be identified by the complexity of the integrand, the presence of multiple variables, or the use of non-elementary functions such as logarithmic, exponential, or trigonometric functions. The integrand may also contain higher powers or roots, making it difficult to integrate using basic techniques.

3. How can I approach solving a difficult integral?

There are a few strategies that can be used to approach solving difficult integrals. These include using substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. In some cases, it may be necessary to use more advanced techniques such as partial fractions or Taylor series expansion.

4. Are there any tricks or tips for solving difficult integrals?

There are a few tips that can be helpful when solving difficult integrals. One is to try different substitution or manipulation techniques to simplify the integrand. Another is to look for symmetries or patterns in the integrand that may lead to a simpler solution. Additionally, it can be helpful to practice and become familiar with different integration techniques.

5. What resources are available to help with difficult integrals?

There are many resources available to help with difficult integrals. These include online calculators, textbooks, and video tutorials. Additionally, seeking help from a math tutor or attending a calculus study group can also be beneficial in understanding and solving difficult integrals.