Debt or No Debt? Transferring for a Physics Degree

In summary, the speaker is currently in their second semester at a small university with a small physics department, with the option to graduate with little to no debt. They are also considering transferring to a school with a better physics program, but it would mean taking on $20,000-$30,000 in debt. The third option is to transfer to a school with the second best physics program and live with their brother, resulting in little to no debt. The speaker has no scholarships and plans to pursue a masters and possibly a PhD. The first option is still a viable choice, as the reputation of the school does not matter as much in undergrad. The speaker is leaning towards the third option due to the lower tuition cost and the potential for research
PerryPants
I am currently in my second semester at a university with a small physics department (4-6 professors, 40 undergraduates and 0 graduates). It’s cheap enough that if I stay here till I graduate I probably will have no debt or maybe 1-2,000, but I’m considering transferring.
Right now I have about 3 options:

1. Stay where I am and graduate from a small university with close to no debt (I’m living at home – yes I know its lame, but it’s about 6,000 less a year that I have to pay :-) )

2. Go to a school with the best physics program (out of my choices) where I have several good friends at and is close to home but end up with about 20,000-30,000 in debt.

3. Go to a school with the second best physics program and live with my brother and his wife and newly born kid (to help make living cheaper), but know no one but them in the whole city and have little to no debt depending on how much my brother wants for room and board.

In either case I currently have no scholarships (had a poor education from my high school) and my grades are a bit above average and I hope to end this semester at or around a 3.5 GPA with which I was hoping I could apply for a few scholarships at whatever university that I go to.

Also I am planning on going to get my masters and possibly my PhD if I’m up for it by then, my second and third chose both have good masters and PhD programs as well. This is also my first post so I hope I’m not confusing or too long here.

Physics news on Phys.org

I always think that staying out of debt is one of the best things you can do. So if you can manage not to have (too much) debt, that would be awesome. Option 2 guarantees you $20 000 debt. I think you should avoid this at all costs.

In undergrad, the reputation of the school is not so important. Whether you go to the best physics department or the fifth best, it doesn't matter. You'll get a good education everywhere. So I don't think the second option is really worth it.

I would go for option 3, if I were you.

If university #1 (your current one) covers the basic undergraduate physics curriculum (classical mechanics, electricity & magnetism, thermodynamics / statistical mechanics, quantum mechanics), provides some lab classes and research opportunities, and you feel comfortable with the professors and classmates there, I see little reason to transfer.

At university #3 you might have more research opportunities; but undergraduate research is mainly about learning the research process in general, so it doesn't really matter much what field you work in, so long as it's interesting enough to you that you're motivated to work on it. You might have a larger variety of courses to choose from, but the core courses are the most important ones anyway. You might have better or more interesting professors, but then again you might not. Teaching quality at large universities tends to be hit-or-miss.

Another factor is that at a smaller school, your professors will probably get to know you better. There are only a few of them, and they talk to each other about their students. It's easier to make your good qualities known to them and get good recommendations.

I agree with micromass that you should avoid #2 because of the debt. It's one thing for (medical) doctors or lawyers to rack up debt because they're going to make big money eventually. Physicists don't make big money, so if you can avoid debt that's a big plus.

First, I want to thank both of your for your advice, it is helpful.

Some other things I guess I should mention is that 2 and 3 both offer general physics III corses, while 1 does not. I have talked to my lab TA who graduated from the university in physics, who said that since they do not offer that course I essentially have to teach myself that class because the upper level classes expect you to know what is in physics III. Also He said most of the teachers were good, but the thing is some are not so good and since there are few professors some of the core upper classes are taught by the “bad” teachers and I have no choice but to take the classes from them.

Another thing is that I may be able to get into the honors program for 2 if I can get my GPA to above a 3.5 (which is possible if I get good grades this semester), which will pay for some of my book fees and 120 cred hours, thus making the cost of going there roughly the same as 1.

I’m leaning towards 3 now since I just check up on their tuition, and it would cost about 1,100 less a year than where I am currently going, which I think would be close to how much my brother would want to live with him.

Again, thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

I understand the importance of making informed decisions based on data and evidence. In this situation, it seems like you have a few options to consider for your physics degree. Ultimately, the decision will depend on your individual goals and priorities.

Staying at your current university with a small physics department may offer the advantage of low or no debt upon graduation. This may be a good option if your main priority is to minimize your financial burden and you are satisfied with the education and opportunities available at this university. However, it is important to also consider the quality of education and research opportunities available at this university, as well as the potential for networking and building connections in the field.

Going to a school with the best physics program may offer the advantage of a higher quality education and more opportunities for research and networking. However, this may come at the cost of accumulating debt. It is important to weigh the potential benefits against the financial burden and consider if the education and opportunities at this university will significantly enhance your career prospects.

The third option, going to a school with the second best physics program and living with your brother to reduce living expenses, may offer the best of both worlds. You may still have access to a good education and opportunities, while also minimizing your debt. However, it is important to consider the potential trade-offs of living with family and not having a strong social network in the new city.

In any case, it is encouraging to hear that you are already thinking about pursuing a master's and potentially a PhD. These advanced degrees can open up even more opportunities and career advancement in the field of physics. It is also worth noting that many universities offer scholarships and financial aid for graduate students, so it may be worth researching and applying for those opportunities when the time comes.

In the end, the decision will depend on your personal priorities and goals. I would recommend gathering more information about each option, such as the specific programs and research opportunities available at each university, and weighing them against your priorities and goals. Good luck with your decision and future studies in physics!

1. What is the difference between debt and no debt when transferring for a physics degree?

The main difference between transferring with debt and without debt for a physics degree is the financial burden that comes with taking out loans. If you transfer without any debt, you will not have to worry about paying off loans after graduation. However, if you transfer with debt, you will have to repay the loans, which can impact your financial stability and future plans.

2. Is it worth it to take on debt for a physics degree?

This is a personal decision that ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and goals. While taking on debt may allow you to transfer to a better physics program, it is important to consider the potential long-term financial implications. It may be helpful to research job prospects and average salaries for physics graduates to determine if the potential debt is worth the investment.

3. Can transferring for a physics degree lead to higher paying jobs?

Transferring for a physics degree can definitely lead to higher paying jobs, as physics is a highly in-demand field with many opportunities for growth and advancement. However, it is important to note that the amount of debt you take on and the prestige of the program you transfer to may also impact your salary potential.

4. How can I minimize debt when transferring for a physics degree?

There are several ways to minimize debt when transferring for a physics degree. One option is to apply for scholarships and grants, which do not have to be repaid. Another option is to attend a less expensive program or consider transferring to a public university with lower tuition costs. You can also look into part-time jobs or internships to help cover some of the costs of your education.

5. Are there any alternatives to transferring for a physics degree that can help me avoid debt?

Yes, there are alternative paths to obtaining a physics degree that can help you avoid debt. Some options include attending a community college for general education courses and then transferring to a four-year university, or taking online courses to complete some of your degree requirements. Additionally, you may consider working and saving up money before pursuing your degree, or applying for employer tuition assistance programs. It is important to research and consider all options before making a decision.