Struggling with Math: Any Book Recommendations?

• Thread starter Atran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difficulty
In summary, the speaker is a high school student who will be attending university soon and is concerned about their mathematical knowledge. They struggle with certain concepts such as subtracting negative numbers, implicit differentiation, and the basic counting principle. They are looking for a book that starts from the basics and explains the reasons behind mathematical rules. They have considered buying Finite Math and Applied Calculus by Stefan Waner and Steven Costenoble but are open to other recommendations. They also have a specific question about significant digits and are looking for a mathematician's perspective on the matter.
Atran
Hi, I've studied mathematics at high school and I will start university next year. I'm worried about my mathematical knowledge in general. There are many "gaps" which lead to confusion.

To give you some examples:
1) I've difficulty understanding why, for instance, 5 - (-2) = 5 + 2. The only explanation I have is: 5 - (-2) = 5 + -1*(-1*2) = 5 + (-1*-1)*2 = 5+2.
2) I can't really intuitively understand implicit differentiation.
3) I've difficulty grasping the basic counting principle, etc...

I need a book which starts from the very bottom (covering many topics) and explains why some rules are the way they are. I'm thinking to buy Finite Math and Applied Calculus by Stefan Waner and Steven Costenoble. What's your opinion about the book?

Can you recommend me other books?
Thanks for reading.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I can't really think of any books, but I think Khan Academy could help whith a lot of your problems. It's free, and there are a lot of videos that can help make ideas more intuitive. I recommend you try it out.

Atran said:
Hi, I've studied mathematics at high school and I will start university next year. I'm worried about my mathematical knowledge in general. There are many "gaps" which lead to confusion.

1) I've difficulty understanding why, for instance, 5 - (-2) = 5 + 2. The only explanation I have is: 5 - (-2) = 5 + -1*(-1*2) = 5 + (-1*-1)*2 = 5+2.
This is really the long way around. For subtraction, all you need to know is that subtracting a number is the same as (i.e., gives the same result) as adding the opposite of the number.

Some examples
6 - 4 = 6 + (-4) = 2 Here, -4 is the "opposite" (additive inverse is the proper term) of 4.
5 - (-2) = 5 + [-(-2)] = 5 + 2 = 7 The opposite of -2 is 2.
Atran said:
This is a long way in complexity from adding and subtracting signed numbers, but it's not really that complicated. In implicit differentiation you are making the assumption that all variables are differentiable functions of some independent variable, typically x.

For example, starting from xy2 = 3, we are assuming that y is a differentiable (its derivative exists) function of x.

Differentiating both sides with respect to x yields:
d/dx(xy2) = d/dx(3)
==> x * 2y * dy/dx + y2 * dx/dx = 0
==> 2xy * dy/dx + y2 = 0

Now all that's left is to solve the equation above for dy/dx.
Atran said:
Can you be more specific?

Math books typically don't start from very basic algebra (such as addition of signed numbers) and go all the way through calculus. You might need a book for basic algebra, one for precalculus (including trig), and one for calculus. Alternatively, or together with, you could look at the topics in Khan Academy, as the previous poster suggested.
Atran said:
I need a book which starts from the very bottom (covering many topics) and explains why some rules are the way they are. I'm thinking to buy Finite Math and Applied Calculus by Stefan Waner and Steven Costenoble. What's your opinion about the book?

Thanks for reading.

Atran said:

Thanks for reading.
1) Imagine a number line, pretending that "right" is the positive direction and "left" is the negative direction. Consider a real number, ##n##. To subtract a number ##m## from ##n##, to obtain ##n-m##, we start at ##n## on the number line and go to the left ##m## units. If ##m## is negative, then it is like we are moving ##m## units to the opposite of left. In other words, subtracting a negative number is like walking backward on the number line.

2) It's just an application of the chain rule. For example, if we have a circle given by ##x^2+y^2=r^2##, and we want to find the slope of that circle at a point. We just apply the derivative to both sides of the equation, obtaining ##\frac{d}{dx}\left[x^2+y^2\right]=2x+\frac{d}{dx}\left[y^2\right]=2x+\frac{d(y^2)}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}= 2x+2y\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\left[r^2\right]=0##, assuming that r is a constant. Then, we solve for ##\frac{dy}{dx}##, obtaining ##\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{-x}{y}##.

3) If you imagine possible events in the form of a tree, it becomes fairly intuitive.

I've heard that Spivak's Calculus constructs many principles of numbers from scratch. I can't say that I've personally read it, but fellow forumer micromass suggested it, along with Lang's Basic Mathematics, in a somewhat similar thread, and he's almost always right. I have an introduction to differential geometry by Spivak that periodically oozes masses of mathematical awesomeness whenever I open it, so I would not be surprised if his calculus book is excellent as well.

Thank you all for the answers.

Mark44 said:
Can you be more specific?
I need to know how a mathematician thinks it or to see it from a mathematician's point of view.

Does an exact number have an infinite number of significant digits?
Suppose 0.5±0.25, then 0.25≤x≤0.75: Is it correct to infer, given 0.245 and 0.755 being exact values, 0.245≤x<0.755?

Atran said:
Thank you all for the answers.

I need to know how a mathematician thinks it or to see it from a mathematician's point of view.

Does an exact number have an infinite number of significant digits?
Suppose 0.5±0.25, then 0.25≤x≤0.75: Is it correct to infer, given 0.245 and 0.755 being exact values, 0.245≤x<0.755?
If a number is on the interval ##[\frac{1}{4},\frac{3}{4})##, then it is definitely on the interval ##[0.245,0.755)##. Somehow, though, I don't think this is what you are asking.

An "exact" number doesn't involve significant digits. For example, in reality, 5 has 1 significant digit. In math, though, we actually mean that 5 is 5 and there is no error in the measurement obtaining that number. So, if you want to think about it in terms of significant digits, 5=5.000000000...

I meant that if, for example, x=2.0 is a measurement with two significant figures, then x can be any value between (1.95) and (2.05): 1.95≤x<2.05 or 1.95≤x≤2.04.
Am I thinking right?

Atran said:
I meant that if, for example, x=2.0 is a measurement with two significant figures, then x can be any value between (1.95) and (2.05): 1.95≤x<2.05 or 1.95≤x≤2.04.
Am I thinking right?
Pretty close. The 2.0 measurement indicates that x could be anywhere between 1.95 and 2.05, as you wrote. That would be 1.95 ≤ x ≤ 2.05.

Mandelbroth said:
I have an introduction to differential geometry by Spivak that periodically oozes masses of mathematical awesomeness whenever I open it
ewwwwwww

WannabeNewton said:
ewwwwwww
It's the good kind that smells like strawberries. :tongue:

Mandelbroth said:
It's the good kind that smells like strawberries. :tongue:
If it oozes anything, it's ew :tongue:

Mark44 said:
Pretty close. The 2.0 measurement indicates that x could be anywhere between 1.95 and 2.05, as you wrote. That would be 1.95 ≤ x ≤ 2.05.

So do 1.95 and 2.05 consist of three significant digits? Or are the two values "exact"?
Because if each has three significant figures then 1.95 is any value between 1.945 and 1.955, and for x: 1.945 ≤ x, which is wrong since 1.95 ≤ x.

It would be great if you could read the first chapter in Spivak's Calculus. He gives you a rather intuitive understanding of the properties of real numbers, and inequalities. Also are you aware that significant figures is a method to help maintain an significant values through out a calculation where measurements are involved.?

A number like 5 has no significant value what-so-ever. However, if I got that number 5 came from a ruler and that ruler was accurate to two more decimal places, then we would write 5.00 (units) to demonstrate the accuracy of the ruler. So note that when working with purely mathematical numbers where measurement is not involved, then the idea of significant figures does not come into play at all.

It becomes much clear when you think about number lines. Especially with negative numbers and letters. Here is an example of number lines: Number lines

1. What causes difficulty with maths?

There can be several factors that contribute to difficulty with maths. These can include learning disabilities, lack of foundational knowledge or understanding, poor instruction, anxiety, and simply not enjoying or being interested in maths.

2. Can difficulty with maths be overcome?

Yes, with proper support and instruction, difficulty with maths can be overcome. It may take time and effort, but with persistence and a positive attitude, anyone can improve their math skills.

3. Are there any strategies for improving maths skills?

Yes, there are various strategies that can help improve maths skills, such as practicing regularly, breaking down problems into smaller steps, using visual aids or manipulatives, seeking help from a tutor or teacher, and finding ways to make maths more enjoyable and relatable.

4. Is difficulty with maths a sign of low intelligence?

No, difficulty with maths does not necessarily indicate a low intelligence. People have different strengths and weaknesses, and some may struggle with maths while excelling in other subjects. Additionally, there are various types of intelligence, and mathematical intelligence is just one of them.

5. Can difficulty with maths have long-term effects?

Yes, difficulty with maths can have long-term effects if left unaddressed. It can impact academic performance, career opportunities, and daily life tasks that involve math. Addressing the issue early on can help prevent these long-term effects.