1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficulty with washer method when revolving around axis other than y or x axis.

1. Sep 10, 2007 #1

bah

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The region in the second quadrant bounded above by the curve y=-x^3, below by the x-axis, and on the left by the line x=-1, about the line x=-2

2. Relevant equations

It's basically the big radius squared minus the small radius squared, integrated in terms of y, and multiply that by pi, I think. But I have a hard time coming up the with expression for that when it's revolved around something other than the x or y axis... Please help?

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, the curve in terms of y is x=(-y)^(1/3). I have a hard time adjusting that so it is the right equation for the big radius, and adjusting the x=-1 so it is the small radius....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2007 #2
    Wow that is an interesting washer o.o.

Well if it's about the line x=-2 and you want to change it to the y -axis. What is the y-axis? x=? how can you change x=-2 to x=(y-axis)?

also look at a graph of this function. What are the limits? x=-1, and x=? You also need these for when you change x=(y-axis).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  4. Sep 10, 2007 #3
    wow i'm really confused by this problem. it's been a while since i've done volumes but i figure i could at least get somewhere.

thinking thinking :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?