1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Limit Sample for Microscope

Tags:
  1. Mar 29, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

So, I'm trying to "hit" the diffraction limit (i.e. view Rayleigh criterion, or Abbe or Sparrow criterion) with my light microscope . Bought the scope off amazon..it's a typical AmScope that has 2000x magnification limit.... But the trouble is I can't find a good sample of two spots.

I used my OLED screen on my phone...but the pixels are 85 microns apart...which my microscope can easily resolve.

Then I turned to MEMS Microsphones http://memsjournal.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8345225f869e20147e315f8a1970b-pi

which i have a few samples of...the perforation holes are 10.5 microns in diatemer, separated by approx 5.56 microns. My scope can easily resolve them.

Preparing two small holes 100-600nm apart from one another would be likely too difficult for me to create.

any ideas on how to view Diffraction Limit, or rayleighs criterion, etc?

I was thinking maybe slides created for Two Slits Interference experiments.

Thank you,

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2013 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What's the numerical aperture of your lens?

Something simple to try: swab the inside of your cheek with a q-tip, and wipe the q-tip on a slide. Add a drop of water, cover with a coverslip, and you'll have hundreds of epithelial cells to look at, full of objects below the diffraction limit. Other objects: diatoms, microspheres, soot.

4. Mar 29, 2013 #3
    NA = .1 though I have other lens.

These are the lens i have: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51SnU8iFrNL.jpg

the red one on the right is .1, I can vary from there.

Re the Epithelial cells: so the cells themselves are sub-diffraction limit? Or the things inside them are?

Thank you for your reply.

5. Mar 29, 2013 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

The things inside- your set of lenses are well-suited for looking at cells, either from your mouth or from plants- try peeling off a thin layer from an onion, for example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook