Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction of red LED light picture with spots

1. Dec 17, 2015 #1
    I would like to know what the dots are. This reminds me of X-ray diffraction, but I am imaging a sphere of liquid on the end of a microcapillary nozzle (2um inner diameter glass nozzle with sputtered gold outer coating on nozzle).
    I am taking a picture of a small glass nozzle with a metal coating. There is a sphere of liquid at the end of the nozzle This sphere has radius ~10 to 20 um. Then I lowered the lights and took a long exposure (1 second). The lighting is a single red LED, with some overhead white lights.
    The LED hits the sphere of liquid at ~120 degrees to the camera with the light coming from behind the object. By this, I mean that the light has to bend ~60 degrees within the sphere to reach the camera. The LED light is pulsing at 10 Hz.
    Low light, long exposure (1 second) with overhead lights on:
    upload_2015-12-17_22-28-46.png
    Same, with overhead lights off:
    upload_2015-12-17_22-30-59.png
    Then I put a mirrored surface under the nozzle to make the image brighter (requiring shorter exposure time)
    Exposure time 8 ms, no change in focus or magnification, no change in light, camera, or object position. Overhead lights off, so all light is red, nearly monochromatic:
    upload_2015-12-17_22-37-42.png

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2015 #2
    If it helps, here is the object in better focus, but notice that my depth of focus is not even as big as the sphere of liquid:
    upload_2015-12-17_23-0-25.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook