Diffraction on a body centered lattice, h+k+l even?

In summary, the conversation discusses a mathematical equation involving complex numbers and trigonometric functions. The equation includes a factor that represents the structure factor for BCC and a conversion from exponential to trigonometric form. The conversation also raises questions about the presence of an imaginary part and the value of the sine of an integer multiple of pi.
Tom83B
This is in my book:

[tex]exp[2\pi i(hx+ky+lz)][1+exp(\pi i(h+k+l))]=2exp[2\pi i(hx+ky+lz)]\cos^2[\frac{\pi}{2}(h+k+l)][/tex]

And in order for the cosine not to be zero, [tex]h+k+l[/tex] must be even when we want to see the reflection.

But I think that the result should be [tex]exp[2\pi i(hx+ky+lz)](2\cos^2[\frac{\pi}{2}(h+k+l)]+i\sin[\pi(h+k+l)])[/tex]
Why isn't the imaginary part there? My idea was that we only need the real part, but because we multiply two complex numbers, I can't do this because [tex]i^2=-1[/tex], can I?

Physics news on Phys.org
That does seem strange. What is this equation supposed to be anyway? For what purpose is the author converting the exponential to trig functions? Also, I recognize the (1+exp) factor as the structure factor for BCC, but I can't remember ever seeing it multiplied by a second exponential that way.

What is the sine of an integer multiple of pi?

Modulated said:
What is the sine of an integer multiple of pi?

Thank you very much :-)

1. What is a body centered lattice?

A body centered lattice is a three-dimensional arrangement of points that repeats itself in all directions. It is a type of crystal lattice structure where there is an additional lattice point in the center of the unit cell, in addition to the corner lattice points.

2. How does diffraction occur on a body centered lattice?

Diffraction occurs on a body centered lattice when an incident beam of radiation, such as X-rays, interacts with the lattice structure. The radiation is scattered in different directions due to the periodic arrangement of the lattice points, resulting in a diffraction pattern.

3. What does it mean when h+k+l is even on a body centered lattice?

The values of h, k, and l represent the Miller indices, which are used to describe the planes of a crystal lattice. When h+k+l is even, it means that the planes of the lattice are symmetric and have a higher probability of producing a strong diffraction signal.

4. Why is it important for h+k+l to be even in diffraction on a body centered lattice?

Having h+k+l be even on a body centered lattice means that the diffraction pattern will be stronger and more easily identifiable. This is because the planes of the lattice are arranged in a way that results in constructive interference, leading to a more distinct diffraction pattern.

5. What are some real-world applications of diffraction on a body centered lattice?

Diffraction on a body centered lattice is an important technique used in materials science, crystallography, and structural biology. It is used to study the atomic and molecular structures of various materials, such as metals, alloys, and proteins. This information is essential for understanding the properties and behaviors of these materials, and can contribute to the development of new technologies and products.