Use the Ewald sphere to calculate h,k,l?

• I
  • Thread starter Lars Ph
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sphere
In summary: This means that the energy in the scattered waves is not the same as the energy that was initially incident on the crystal.
Lars Ph
TL;DR Summary
Is there a way to use the ewald sphere to calculate h,k,l?
I am unsure wether or not all I can use the Ewald sphere for is to calculate d_hkl for the diffracted wave vector. For cubic lattices for example d= a/sqrt(h^2+k^2+l^2). To determine the lattice constant "a" you would then need to know exactly what your h,k and l are or you use lattice-dependent requirements like "h+k+l are an even or odd number" in conjunction with the determined d_hkl to find your a (I think). My question is, is there a different way to find the lattice constant solely by using the Ewald sphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean without knowing d ? No. You need to know either a to find d or vice versa. This is the same as needing to know the grating spacing to determine the wavelength for light You also need to know the defracted order. In 3D, it is a bit more complicated but the physics is the same.

Lars Ph said:
TL;DR Summary: Is there a way to use the ewald sphere to calculate h,k,l?

I am unsure wether or not all I can use the Ewald sphere for is to calculate d_hkl for the diffracted wave vector. For cubic lattices for example d= a/sqrt(h^2+k^2+l^2). To determine the lattice constant "a" you would then need to know exactly what your h,k and l are or you use lattice-dependent requirements like "h+k+l are an even or odd number" in conjunction with the determined d_hkl to find your a (I think). My question is, is there a different way to find the lattice constant solely by using the Ewald sphere?
The Ewald sphere depends only on the wavelength of the incident radiation so it has nothing to do with the lattice. If you look at different crystals with the same radiation the Ewald sphere is always the same. That means that it must be impossible to deduce anything about the crystal from the Ewald sphere alone.

Yes. The Ewald sphere is simply a statement about energy conservation in the scattering process where the periodicity of the (~infinitely massive) crystal lattice has allowed momentum to not be strictly conserved (it can change by any reciprocal lattice vector) .

1. What is the Ewald sphere?

The Ewald sphere is a mathematical representation of the diffraction pattern produced by a crystal when it is exposed to an X-ray beam. It helps to visualize the reciprocal lattice points and their corresponding diffraction angles.

2. How do you use the Ewald sphere to calculate h,k,l?

To calculate h,k,l using the Ewald sphere, you need to measure the diffraction angles of the crystal at different orientations. These angles can then be used in the Bragg's law equation (nλ = 2dsinθ) to determine the values of h,k,l for each diffraction peak.

3. What information do you need to use the Ewald sphere?

In order to use the Ewald sphere, you need to know the wavelength of the X-ray beam, the distance between the crystal and the detector, and the diffraction angles of the crystal peaks.

4. What are the limitations of using the Ewald sphere to calculate h,k,l?

The Ewald sphere assumes a perfect crystal and does not take into account any structural defects or imperfections. It also assumes that the crystal is stationary and does not account for any movement or vibrations during the diffraction experiment.

5. Can the Ewald sphere be used for other types of diffraction, such as electron diffraction?

Yes, the Ewald sphere can also be used for other types of diffraction, such as electron diffraction. However, the parameters and equations used may differ depending on the type of radiation being used.