Calculating Fall Time: Diffy Q Word Problem with Parachute and Air Resistance

In summary: GregAyou were right the first time... I wasn't thinkingthe differential equation is: m\frac{dv}{dt} = mg - pvNow we need to get a formula for the acceleration in terms of velocity. By definition, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. So we can write:a = dv/dtNow, we know from the problem description that the acceleration is given by:a = g - pvSo we can set these equal to each other:dv/dt = g - pvAnd then we can rearrange to get a differential equation in terms of just v and t:dv/(g-pv) = dtWe can integrate both sides with
LadyAnn

Homework Statement

A person bails out of an airplane at an a;titude of 15,000 feet, falls freely for 35 seconds, then opens the parachute. How long will it take the person to reach the ground? Assume linear air resistance pV ft/s^2, paking p=.17 without the parachute and p=1.5 with the parachute.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

v(0) = 0
The textbook is very vague and unsure how to even approach the set up of this equation please help with detailed explanation. Thank you so very much.

LadyAnn.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

LadyAnn said:
A person bails out of an airplane at an a;titude of 15,000 feet, falls freely for 35 seconds, then opens the parachute. How long will it take the person to reach the ground? Assume linear air resistance pV ft/s^2, paking p=.17 without the parachute and p=1.5 with the parachute

Hi LadyAnn ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The acceleration downwards is g minus pv.

And acceleration = dv/dt.

So solve for v as a function of t. :smile:

Hi LadyAnn

The way I usually tackle these problems is to start with the expression [tex]F = m\frac{d^{2}s}{dt^{2}}[/tex] such that [tex]\frac{d^{2}s}{dt^{2}} = F/m[/tex]
now m doesn't appear in the information you gave so I'd be tempted to assume that F = mg - [tex]\hat{p}\frac{ds}{dt}[/tex] where [tex]\hat{p} = mp[/tex] (ie: I'm assuming p is a lumped constant)

With this you can reduce it to a second order ODE of the form:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}s}{dt^{2}}+p\frac{ds}{dt} = g[/tex] and then solve for s using the fact that at t = 0 you know how fast the person is falling and where the person is.
You can then use the other information to find the required time to fall 15,000ft

Last edited:
@GregA
don't you complicate things?

Mine method:
Treat this as a physics problem. Use those motion formulas
Part 1 - free fall
Part 2 - parachute opens

Find distance covered in part 1: say D1

Distance left = 15,000 - D1
now using acceleration = g - p = a
find final velocity after D1
find time for remaining distance using one of fundamental motion formulas...
use d = vt + 0.5at^2 one...

rootX said:
@GregA
don't you complicate things?

Mine method:
Treat this as a physics problem. Use those motion formulas
Part 1 - free fall
Part 2 - parachute opens

Find distance covered in part 1: say D1

Distance left = 15,000 - D1
now using acceleration = g - p = a
find final velocity after D1
find time for remaining distance using one of fundamental motion formulas...
use d = vt + 0.5at^2 one...

Hmm...I might be wrong but when you say that a = g-p I infer that the acceleration is constant...surely this is not true though because it depends on how fast that person is falling at any time (air resistance)...and so using the suvat equations would not be correct?

The reason I would reduce it to a second order ODE in terms of position (as opposed to first order in terms of velocity) is that position is surely required to solve for t once the parachute opens?

Last edited:
yep, you seem to be right..
there's "v" after p and I missed it...

1. What is a "Diffy Q word problem"?

A "Diffy Q word problem" is a type of mathematical word problem that involves differential equations (abbreviated as "Diffy Q"). These are equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives, and are commonly used to model natural phenomena in fields such as science and engineering.

2. How do you solve a "Diffy Q word problem"?

Solving a "Diffy Q word problem" requires a combination of mathematical knowledge and problem-solving skills. The first step is to identify the differential equation and determine its type (e.g. linear, separable, etc.). Then, you can use various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or the method of undetermined coefficients to find the solution.

3. What are some common applications of "Diffy Q word problems"?

"Diffy Q word problems" can be found in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and more. They are commonly used to model and understand natural phenomena such as population growth, heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.

4. Can "Diffy Q word problems" be solved using software or calculators?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools that can help solve "Diffy Q word problems". These include WolframAlpha, Mathcad, and MATLAB. However, it is still important to have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques in order to properly interpret and apply the results.

5. Are there any tips or strategies for solving "Diffy Q word problems"?

Some tips for solving "Diffy Q word problems" include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying the type of differential equation, drawing and labeling diagrams or graphs, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different techniques for solving specific types of differential equations.