1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Free falling particle with air resistance

1. Sep 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle is release from rest (y=0) and falls under the influence of gravity and air resistance. Find the relationship between v and the distance of falling y when the air resistance is equal to (a) αv and (b) βv²

3. The attempt at a solution

Setting the origin at the point from where the particle is released, with y pointing downwards, we have, from F=ma, that dv/dt=g-αv, hence ∫dv=∫(g-αv)dt, so, as vdt=dy, v=gt-αy.

Is it right so far? How do I eliminate the time depence? The solution manual has a very different approach that I did not understand, so it may be possible that my attempt won't get me to the answer. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2
    How can you represent dt in terms of dy and v?

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3
    You indicate in the problem statement that air resistance (force) is alpha*v. Then you subtract it from g (gravity) which has different units and set it equal to acceleration. Your units do not jive.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook