Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital holography - why not 3d?

1. May 21, 2006 #1
    after applying fourier transform on the interference picture i get from the object ray and the reference ray (which i captured with a high definition CCD), i can see the object again... but it doesn't look like a hologram to me... its pretty 2d dimensional looking... my guess is that my printer\screen resolution is too low for the effect to take effect... am i right?

if i'd use a better printer, will i be able to see my object (almost) is three dimensions? is there a printer with a high enough resolution?
    (or is it because of another factor which i didn't take into consideration?)
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2006 #2

Gold Member

I think that you need to supply more details of your experiment. In any event, I seriously doubt that any monitor or printer can created the resolution needed to duplicate photonic wave interference.
  4. May 22, 2006 #3
    im spliting a laser beam into an object beam and a reference beam, the object beam is reflected from an object and interferes with the reference beam on the CCD, so that now i can deduce the phase difference of the reflected object beam and recreate the wave front as if it came from the object.

in optical holography this deduction of phase difference is made by illuminating the interference picture again with the laser that was used to create the picture (and at the same angle that was used).
    because i use CCD, i use fourier transform on my picture to get the same result, mathematically it should be identicle, but i dont get the 3d effect i would have gotten by using the optical method... my CCD is accurate enough, i calculated the real optical resolution considering the airy-disc size and my CCD has more then enough, so i think i lose the effect when i try to view the picture on a computer screen or a piece of paper.
  5. May 22, 2006 #4
    nevermind, i was wrong, i dont need to print the picture i get after processing the image, i need to print the interference pattern and illuminate it with the reference ray, there are printer capable of doing it.

alternatively i can produce a picture of the object from a variaty of angles on the computer using the interfernce picture.
  6. May 22, 2006 #5

Gold Member

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought from the beginning that it was the interference pattern that you were trying to print. Might I assume that you're doing it on transparencies?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?