Understanding Digital Logic Latches: RS, Gated, D Latch Timing Explained

In summary, the RS latch will remember the last set of inputs, while the Gated latch will only remember the last enabled input. The E input is only used to tell the circuit to remember the inputs of S and R. The purpose of the E input is unknown. The timing diagrams are a visual representation of a truth table.
DiamondV

Homework Statement

So we've started digital logic in lectures and don't seem to understand some things about it. I've searched online but nobody seems to have explained some things.

RS LATCH
62bc75a187.jpg

GATED LATCH
4ace35ef85.png

D LATCH TIMING
4a262dd151.jpg

Q1: Does LATCH response(as in truth tables) just mean that nothing will change?i.e its going to remember previous inputs?

Q2: In reference to the last row of inputs in the truth table for an RS Latch and Gated Latch, S and R are both 1 but the Q and Qbar are 0? Why is that? Should they not be remembering the 1 and 1 new inputs?

Q3: In reference to the Gated Latch, is the E(enable) input only to tell the circuit to remember the inputs of S and R? So the only time the circuit will remember what inputs its given is if the Enable Input is 1 aswell? Whats the actual purpose of it?

Q4: I have no idea what these timing diagrams are supposed to tell me? Are they just a visual representation of a truth table? Whats going on?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:
Q1: Does LATCH response(as in truth tables) just mean that nothing will change?i.e its going to remember previous inputs?

Ever wonder in a SR latch what the S and the R stand for? Set and Reset. Once I realized that it made a lot more sense!

DiamondV said:
Q2: In reference to the last row of inputs in the truth table for an RS Latch and Gated Latch, S and R are both 1 but the Q and Qbar are 0? Why is that? Should they not be remembering the 1 and 1 new inputs?

Reset overides Set in this case. The only difference with the gated SR Latch is it has an Enable input as well.

DiamondV said:
Q3: In reference to the Gated Latch, is the E(enable) input only to tell the circuit to remember the inputs of S and R? So the only time the circuit will remember what inputs its given is if the Enable Input is 1 aswell? Whats the actual purpose of it?

The inputs to the LATCH become S&E and R&E so if E is 0 what are you inputs? S=0 R=0 so you'll get whatever the previous value was :)

DiamondV said:
Q4: I have no idea what these timing diagrams are supposed to tell me? Are they just a visual representation of a truth table? Whats going on?

A timing diagram shows you how the logic behaves when various inputs are given. From it you can tell things like whether the logic is rising edge or falling edge triggered. As you get into this more it will tell you about delay propogations as well.

Likes DiamondV
cpscdave said:
Ever wonder in a SR latch what the S and the R stand for? Set and Reset. Once I realized that it made a lot more sense!
Reset overides Set in this case. The only difference with the gated SR Latch is it has an Enable input as well.
The inputs to the LATCH become S&E and R&E so if E is 0 what are you inputs? S=0 R=0 so you'll get whatever the previous value was :)
A timing diagram shows you how the logic behaves when various inputs are given. From it you can tell things like whether the logic is rising edge or falling edge triggered. As you get into this more it will tell you about delay propogations as well.

Q1: So basically. Reset rests all values back to the defaults?(Q default would be 0 and Qbar would be 1?).

Q2: Following from that default logic above, if reset overides set then why is Qbar now 0?

Q1) Yup
Q2) It's considered an invalid set of inputs :)

Likes DiamondV
cpscdave said:
Q1) Yup
Q2) It's considered an invalid set of inputs :)

Awesomee. thanks so much. this cleared up so many things. :)

No worries

Check out http://www.cburch.com/logisim/ its a free simulator for digital logic. I found it quite helpful to set up circuits in there and see how they behave. Made it easier for me to wrap my head around things!

1. What is a digital logic latch?

A digital logic latch is a type of electronic circuit that stores and remembers a digital signal. It acts as a temporary storage unit and can hold a value of either 0 or 1.

2. What are the different types of digital logic latches?

There are three main types of digital logic latches: RS latch, gated latch, and D latch. The RS latch uses two inputs (set and reset) to control the output, the gated latch uses an additional input (called the enable) to control when the output is updated, and the D latch only uses one input (called the data) to control the output.

3. How does an RS latch work?

An RS latch consists of two cross-coupled NOR gates. The set input drives one gate to output a 1, which then feeds into the other gate and switches its output to a 0. The reset input does the opposite, driving the other gate to output a 1, which then feeds into the first gate and switches its output to 0. This creates a stable state where one output is always 1 and the other is always 0, until a new input is received.

4. What is the purpose of a gated latch?

A gated latch is used to control when the output is updated. The enable input acts as a switch, allowing the input to pass through and update the output only when the enable input is high. This is useful for synchronizing different parts of a circuit and preventing unwanted updates.

5. How is the timing of a D latch determined?

The timing of a D latch is determined by the clock signal. When the clock signal transitions from low to high, the D latch reads the data input and updates the output accordingly. The output remains unchanged until the next clock cycle. This allows for precise control and synchronization of the output signal.