1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Digital signal processing, linear time invariant system,

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1
    I really confused, I found in a book that the following system,
    y[n]= x[n+1]-x[n], is not causal!
    But from the definition of causality that the output y[n0] depends only on the input samples x[n] for n<=n0,,,
    So I think that this system is causal...

If you agree with me please tell me that it's correct...

Thanks in advance...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2014 #2

FOIWATER

Gold Member

x[n+1] is not a past or present sample of the input it is a future sample so that is why it is not causal.

It's actually like this, x[n-k] where k>=0

4. Apr 27, 2014 #3
    But x[n+1] means that the sample is shifted to the left, (less than 0 or means it is positioned at -1) so it is a past value then the system is causal.!!!!

5. Apr 27, 2014 #4

FOIWATER

Gold Member

It's true that x[n+1] would be x[n] shifted to the left by one, but x[n+1] is a future value. Think about the graphs - if we have x[n] = {1,2,3,4..} where 1 has the zero place, x[n+1] would be, as you say, {2,3,4,5..} with 2 having the zero place. Do you see how now the first sample in x[n+1] (which is 2) is the FUTURE value of x[n] at the ones place?

You're right that the graph shifts, this is visual meaning of future values. The graph does shift left.

6. Apr 28, 2014 #5

Thanks for your answer... It is clear now.. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted