Help proving if a system is LTI?

• Thread starter asdf12312
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lti System
In summary, we are discussing whether a DT system described by the input-output relationship y[n] = x[n] ∗ h[n] is an LTI system. The system is defined by the input x[n], output y[n], convolution operator *, and impulse response h[n] = u[n+1]. To prove that it is LTI, we need to show that it is linear and time invariant. We can prove linearity by showing that shifting the input results in a proportional shift in the output. Additionally, we can show time invariance by demonstrating that shifting the input and output by the same amount results in the same output. Thus, it can be concluded that the DT system is an LTI system.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

A DT system is defined by the input-output relationship y[n] = x[n] ∗ h[n],
where x[n] is input, y[n] is output, '*' is convolution, and h[n] = u[n+1].
Is this an LTI system? Explain.

Homework Equations

x[n] - input, h[n] - impulse response
y[n]=h[n]*x[n] = Σ (k=-inf to inf) x[k]h[n-k] = Σ (k=-inf to inf) h[k]x[n-k] (convolution sum for DT)
Rule for y[n]=h[n]*x[n]: if x[n]=u[n], y[n]=Σ (k=-inf to n) h[k]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to prove if it is LTI system or not. I can prove that convolution sum is linear, y[k]=Σ(k=-inf to inf) A(x[k]h[n-k])= Ay[k] but not sure its time invariant. if I use the rule in the book, I guess x[n] and h[n] are interchangeable in convolution sum so h[n] can be used as input. Then using the rule, y[n]=Σ (k=-inf to n) x[k+1] which I suppose means its time invariant? y[n-n0]=Σ (k=-inf to n) x[k+1-n0], pretty sure this is true but is this enough to prove its LTI system?

Last edited:
If it is time invariant the output you get from a time shifted input is the same as if you time shifted the output the same amount.

You have system H and its output y such that the system is described by y[n] = H{ x[n] },
if you shift input x1[n] so you get a new input x2[n] = x1[n-1] and you put this new input into H you get y2[n] = H{ x1[n-1] }
and you shift the output so y1[n-1] = H{ x1[n] },
y2[n] = y1[n-1] for time invariant system.

if it is linear then if the inputs x[n] = x1[n] produce output y[n] = y1[n] and x[n] = x2[n] produces y[n] = y2[n] then
x[n] = a*x1[n] + b*x2[n] will have output y[n] = ay1[n] + by2[n]

1. What is an LTI system?

An LTI (linear time-invariant) system is a system in which the output is only dependent on the input and is not affected by any time variations or delays. This means that the system will respond the same way to a given input, regardless of when the input is applied.

2. How do I determine if a system is LTI?

To determine if a system is LTI, you can use the properties of linearity and time-invariance. If the system satisfies both of these properties, then it is an LTI system. This can be done by analyzing the system's input-output relationship and checking for any time variations or delays in the response.

3. Why is it important to prove if a system is LTI?

Proving if a system is LTI is important because it allows us to simplify the system's analysis and design. LTI systems have many desirable properties that make them easier to understand and work with, such as the ability to use techniques like superposition and convolution to analyze the system's behavior.

4. Can a system be both linear and time-invariant but not LTI?

No, a system cannot be both linear and time-invariant but not LTI. The properties of linearity and time-invariance are essential characteristics of LTI systems, and if a system satisfies both of these properties, then it is an LTI system.

5. How can I prove if a system is LTI experimentally?

To prove if a system is LTI experimentally, you can apply different inputs to the system and measure the output. If the output remains the same despite changes in the input's timing or variations, then the system is LTI. However, this method may not always yield accurate results, so it is recommended to also use analytical methods to prove LTI properties.