Dimension of subspace of even and odd polynomials

In summary, a subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. Even polynomials are polynomials with all even exponents and are symmetric about the y-axis, while odd polynomials have all odd exponents and are symmetric about the origin. The dimension of a subspace of even or odd polynomials is determined by the number of linearly independent polynomials in the subspace, which is equal to the degree of the polynomials. A polynomial cannot belong to both the subspace of even and odd polynomials.
charmmy

Homework Statement

I have a question which asks me to find the dimensions of the subspace of even polynomials (i.e. polynomials with even exponents) and odd polynomials.

I know that dim of Pn (polynomials with n degrees) is n+1. But how do I find the dimensions of even n odd polynomials?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to consider a few examples until you can guess what happens in the general case. The answer will depend on whether n is even or odd.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. In other words, if you take any two vectors in the subspace and add them together, the result will also be in the subspace. Similarly, if you multiply a vector in the subspace by a scalar, the result will also be in the subspace.

2. What are even and odd polynomials?

Even polynomials are polynomials in which all the terms have even exponents. They are symmetric about the y-axis and have the form f(x) = ax2 + bx4 + cx6 + ... Odd polynomials, on the other hand, have terms with odd exponents and are symmetric about the origin. They have the form f(x) = ax + bx3 + cx5 + ...

3. How do you determine the dimension of a subspace of even and odd polynomials?

The dimension of a subspace of even and odd polynomials is determined by the number of linearly independent polynomials in the subspace. For example, the subspace of even polynomials of degree 2 has a dimension of 2 because there are two linearly independent polynomials: x2 and x4. The subspace of odd polynomials of degree 3 also has a dimension of 2, with the linearly independent polynomials being x and x3.

4. Can a polynomial belong to both the subspace of even and odd polynomials?

No, a polynomial cannot belong to both the subspace of even and odd polynomials because the two subspaces are mutually exclusive. A polynomial can either have all even terms or all odd terms, but not a combination of both.

5. How does the dimension of the subspace of even and odd polynomials change with the degree of the polynomials?

The dimension of the subspace of even and odd polynomials will always be equal to the degree of the polynomials. For example, the subspace of even polynomials of degree 3 will have a dimension of 3 because there are three linearly independent polynomials: x2, x4, and x6. Similarly, the subspace of odd polynomials of degree 5 will also have a dimension of 5, with the linearly independent polynomials being x, x3, x5, x7, and x9.