Dimensional Analysis and buckingham pi

In summary, the conversation is about finding non-dimensional groups and the confusion around finding the indices. There are different methods used, some involving labeling the groups with a constant, while others do not. Both methods give different answers but ultimately lead to the same functional relationship. The speaker is asking for clarification on when to use each method.
GBA13

Homework Statement

Hi Guys,

I am a bit confused concerning one part of this topic. Specifically when trying to find non dimensional groups. My problem is a small thing in the finding of the indices.

So, for example, your are trying to find a pi group when finding the drag on a car.
so you have D,A,V,rho.

then you find indices by doing [M][L][T]^-2 ([L]^2)^a ...

and then do [L]: 0 = 1 + 2a...

but sometimes I have seen in solution people doing

[L]: 1 = 2a...

This obviously gives a different answer to the one above. as a = 1/2 for the bottom one and -1/2 for the other. I am confused about which one we are supposed to use for what

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

One thing I am finding is that often when it is like

[L]: 1= 2a.. that is because the pi group has been labelled D = kA^aV^b rho^c or something like that while then it looks like

[L]: 0 = 1 + 2a... it is normall labeled DA^aV^b rho^c. I am not sure what the difference is but the two methods give different numbers and I'm not sure when one should be used or not. I'm not sure why k is in the group above and isn't in the one below etc..

All I am tyring to do is form a functional relationship with things.

Thanks, I'm sorry if this is a bit disjointed I am struggling to explain it!

I would really appreciate someone setting me straight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I think I may have just solved it! I'm thinking it means the same thing, and when rearranged they are the same, just different ways of doing the same thing! If I'm wrong please jump in! :)

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to convert between different units of measurement. It involves breaking down a physical problem into its fundamental dimensions and using equations to manipulate and cancel out these dimensions, resulting in a new equation that is dimensionally consistent.

2. How is dimensional analysis useful in science?

Dimensional analysis is useful in science because it allows us to check the validity of equations and ensure that they are physically sensible. It also allows us to convert between units of measurement and perform calculations without having to memorize conversion factors.

3. What is the Buckingham pi theorem?

The Buckingham pi theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that in any physical problem involving n variables and k fundamental dimensions, there will be n-k dimensionless groups that can be formed from these variables. These dimensionless groups, also known as pi terms, can then be used to express physical relationships and make predictions.

4. How is the Buckingham pi theorem applied in dimensional analysis?

The Buckingham pi theorem is applied in dimensional analysis by using it to identify and form dimensionless groups from the variables and fundamental dimensions in a given physical problem. These dimensionless groups can then be used to create dimensionally consistent equations and to find relationships between variables.

5. What are some common mistakes when using dimensional analysis and the Buckingham pi theorem?

Some common mistakes when using dimensional analysis and the Buckingham pi theorem include forgetting to include all relevant variables and dimensions, using incorrect conversion factors, and not checking the final units of the calculated answer. It is important to carefully choose the variables and dimensions to include in the analysis and to double check all calculations for accuracy.