Dimensional Analysis of Planck Length

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for the Planck length and the dimension analysis of square root of the product of gravitational constant and Planck's constant. It is pointed out that the resulting unit does not correspond to a length. The correct dimension for Planck's constant is clarified and the need for converting Newton to appropriate units is highlighted.
noahcharris
Hello!

So in looking at black hole thermodynamics, I came across the equation

## l_p = \sqrt{G\hbar} ##

But in doing a dimensional analysis of
## \sqrt{G\hbar} ##
I get

## [\sqrt{G \hbar}] = \sqrt{ \frac{Nm^2}{kg^2} \frac{m^3}{kgs} } ##

This obviously doesn't amount to a length. What am I doing wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
noahcharris said:
I get

## [\sqrt{G \hbar}] = \sqrt{ \frac{Nm^2}{kg^2} \frac{m^3}{kgs} } ##

This obviously doesn't amount to a length. What am I doing wrong here?

The Planck length is equal to
[tex] \sqrt { \frac {G \hbar} { c^3} } [/tex]

You got the dimension of Plancks constant wrong. A joule second is not m^3/(kg.s)

You also need to convert Newton to kg, meter and second.

1. What is dimensional analysis of Planck length?

Dimensional analysis of Planck length is a mathematical method used to analyze the fundamental units of measurement in physics and determine their relationships to each other. It is based on the Planck length, which is the smallest possible length that can be measured and is a fundamental constant in quantum physics.

2. How is Planck length calculated?

Planck length is calculated using the Planck units, which are a set of natural units derived from fundamental physical constants such as the speed of light, gravitational constant, and Planck's constant. The formula for calculating Planck length is √(ħG/c^3), where ħ is the reduced Planck constant, G is the gravitational constant, and c is the speed of light.

3. Why is Planck length considered the smallest possible length?

Planck length is considered the smallest possible length because it is the length at which quantum effects become significant. At this scale, the laws of classical physics break down, and the fabric of space-time is thought to be discrete and quantized. It is also the scale at which the effects of gravity and quantum mechanics are thought to be equally important.

4. How does dimensional analysis of Planck length relate to the theory of quantum gravity?

The dimensional analysis of Planck length is closely related to the theory of quantum gravity, which seeks to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. By using the Planck length as a fundamental unit of measurement, scientists can study the effects of gravity at a quantum scale and potentially develop a theory of quantum gravity.

5. What are the practical applications of dimensional analysis of Planck length?

While the dimensional analysis of Planck length is primarily used in theoretical physics, it has practical applications in fields such as cosmology and high-energy physics. It can also help scientists understand the fundamental nature of space and time and how they interact with other physical quantities. Additionally, it may aid in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computers and quantum communication devices.