Dimensioning a house's main-pipe

• Thread starter TSN79
  • Start date
In summary, when dimensioning pipes for tap-water, it is important to add up the capacity of each water-point, including both hot and cold water. This is because the diversified load will be lower than the actual capacities, and considering only cold water usage may result in an undersized main pipe. Guidelines for sizing pipes can be found in the BOCA plumbing code.
TSN79
When dimensioning pipes for tap-water I add up the capacity of each water-point. My question is, should I also add the capacity for hot water? Let's say that I have 10 fossets, each of which can deliver 0,2 l/s of either hot or cold water or a combination. When determining the size of the house's main pipe, should I then only be concerned about the amount of cold water, since a fosses can't deliver 0,2 l/s of both hot and cold water at the same time?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go buy yourself a book on plumbing. They have guidlines in there that make it much easier. They size different things in I believe what is called 'fixture units'. Each sink, shower, toilet, etc. will be rated at a certain fixture unit. It takes a certain size pipe to carry the water for a given number of fixture units. It is very seldom the main pipe in a residence is bigger than 3/4 inch ID. Also, consider than not all fixtures will be used at the same time. The same logic applies in electrical services. Add the current from each individual breaker in a breaker panel and you will find it exceeds the current of the main breaker. Not everything is used all at once.

The book you probably want is the BOCA plumbing code. It gives guidelines for that. You don't, for example, just add up all your usage points because they won't all be on at the same time.

However, to size the incoming service, you do need to consider both the hot and cold water usage because the diversified numbers will be lower than the actual capacities. Ie. [made-up numbers] if you have 10 fixtures at .2 l/s, you may have a diversified load of .5 l/s each for hot and cold water for a total of 1 l/s for the incoming service.

...and everything Averagesupernova said is correct.

What is the purpose of dimensioning a house's main-pipe?

Dimensioning a house's main-pipe is important to ensure that the pipe is the appropriate size and capacity to handle the flow of water throughout the house. This helps to prevent clogs, backups, and other plumbing issues.

How do I determine the correct size for a house's main-pipe?

The size of a house's main-pipe is determined by the number of fixtures in the house, the anticipated water flow rate, and the distance from the main water source to the house. It is recommended to consult a plumbing professional for an accurate size calculation.

What materials are commonly used for a house's main-pipe?

The most commonly used materials for a house's main-pipe are copper, PVC, and PEX. Copper is durable and resistant to corrosion, PVC is lightweight and easy to install, and PEX is flexible and can be bent around corners.

What is the maximum length for a house's main-pipe?

The maximum length for a house's main-pipe can vary depending on the material used and the water pressure in the area. Typically, a main-pipe should not exceed 100 feet for copper pipes and 300 feet for PVC or PEX pipes.

Can a house's main-pipe be extended or relocated?

Yes, a house's main-pipe can be extended or relocated if necessary. However, it is important to consult a plumbing professional to ensure that the proper size and materials are used for the new location. It is also important to check with local building codes and regulations before making any changes to a main-pipe.