1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diode Clamper (Clippers) with Capacitors

1. Sep 22, 2008 #1
    Hey all, I have a diode clamper (1 diode) and I had to use a capacitor in lab to smooth out the output (the input was a triangle wave - without the capacitor the output was still a bit triangular at the tips). This is just curiosity - can anyone explain to me how the capacitor managed to smooth out the output wave (the tops of the output wave were flat). I need to figure out how to post pictures on here :P

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2008 #2
    Here's an image.

Attached Files:

4. Sep 22, 2008 #3

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

If you've taken signal processing, the capacitor acts as a low-pass filter, filtering out the higher frequencies and thus reducing the "sharpness" of the triangle wave.

If you haven't, then remember that the voltage in a capacitor can't change instantaneously, and acts as a voltage "buffer", and smoothing out input waveforms.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?