Effects of Load on Diode Circuit with Exponential Model

In summary, the circuit in the diagram uses three identical diodes with a saturation current of 10^-16 A. The current I needed to achieve an output voltage of 2.4 V is found using the equation i=I_S(e^(V_D/V_T)-1). For this circuit, the current required is 7.9 mA. If a load draws 1 mA away from the output terminal, the current through the diodes will decrease and the diode potential drops will change. This can be understood by applying KCL at the junction of the current source and diode chain.
vermin
diagram4-23.jpg

Homework Statement

The circuit in the diagram utilizes three identical diodes
having I_S = 10−16 A. Find the value of the current I required
to obtain an output voltage V_o = 2.4 V.

If a current of 1 mA is drawn away from the output terminal by a load, what is
the change in output voltage?

Homework Equations

What does the value of I_S tell me? should I multiply that by the # of diodes, 3(10^(-16)) A, plug that into the 'exponential equation' I have in my notes and solve for 'i'?

Really not sure what's going on here. Going back to read the text again.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried is using i=I_S(e^(V_D/V_T)-1)
using 25 mV for V_T, and 0.8 V for V_D (2.4/3). Got that, 7.9 mA for i, the current required. Yay.

The next part I don't know what they mean. What would a 1 mA current drawn away do to the output voltage? How do you express that?

In general I'm finding myself doing plug and chug and kind of flying blind with someone else's equations. A big picture description of what I'm trying to figure out, for starters.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
vermin said:

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried is using i=I_S(e^(V_D/V_T)-1)
using 25 mV for V_T, and 0.8 V for V_D (2.4/3). Got that, 7.9 mA for i, the current required. Yay.

The next part I don't know what they mean. What would a 1 mA current drawn away do to the output voltage? How do you express that?

In general I'm finding myself doing plug and chug and kind of flying blind with someone else's equations. A big picture description of what I'm trying to figure out, for starters.

A load connected at the terminal Vo that "steals" 1 mA will reduce the current through the diodes accordingly, hence changing the diode potential drops. That's just KCL applied at the junction of the current source and diode chain.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65883&stc=1&d=1390300450.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 852

1. What is a diode?

A diode is an electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It is made up of a semiconductor material, often silicon, with two terminals - an anode and a cathode. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, current can flow through the diode, but when the voltage is applied in the reverse direction, the diode blocks the flow of current.

2. How does a diode work?

A diode works by utilizing the properties of a semiconductor material. In a diode, one side of the semiconductor is doped with impurities to create a region with an excess of electrons, called the n-type region, while the other side is doped with impurities to create a region with a lack of electrons, called the p-type region. When a voltage is applied in the forward direction, the excess electrons from the n-type region are able to flow into the p-type region, creating a current. In the reverse direction, the lack of electrons in the p-type region prevents current from flowing.

3. What is the exponential model of a diode?

The exponential model of a diode is a mathematical model that describes the relationship between the voltage applied across a diode and the resulting current. It is based on the diode equation, which takes into account the properties of the semiconductor material, such as its doping levels and temperature. The exponential model is often used in circuit analysis to predict the behavior of a diode.

4. What is the forward voltage of a diode?

The forward voltage of a diode is the minimum voltage that must be applied in the forward direction for the diode to start conducting current. This voltage varies depending on the type of diode and its properties, but is typically around 0.7 volts for silicon diodes. Once the forward voltage is reached, the diode will conduct current and the voltage across it will remain relatively constant.

5. What are some common applications of diodes?

Diodes have a wide range of applications in electronic circuits. Some common uses include rectifying AC current to DC in power supplies, protecting circuits from voltage spikes, and controlling the direction of current flow in electronic systems. They are also used in various types of sensors, such as photodiodes for light detection and temperature sensors using the diode's temperature-dependence of forward voltage.