Dipole moment from electrostatic potential equation

In summary, the conversation revolved around obtaining the commonly known equation for dipole electric moment from the electrostatic potential equation for a multipole of order n. The solution was said to be related to Dirac delta functions and a step-by-step approach was suggested. However, it was mentioned that the guidelines do not allow for providing direct solutions, but rather assisting in reaching one after showing effort. The person seeking help was advised to research "multipole expansion" and "dipole moment" on the web and choose a suitable site that explains the concept in a way that is understandable to them. The conversation ended with the definition of ##d_i^n## and the clarification that the equation mentioned earlier is a generalization for the commonly known dip
Iriasrol
Homework Statement
Define the dipole moment starting from the elctrostatic potential equation for a multipole of order n step by step solution.
Relevant Equations
Potential equation V_n=\frac{P^{(n)}}{4\pi\epsilon_1r^{n+1}}P_n\cos{\theta}.

Final Dipole moment equation: P^{(n)}=\sum_{i=1}^Nq_id_i^n
Hello to everyone. The question or debate here is how you obtain the commonly known equation of dipole electric moment:
1571077749343.png

from the electrostatic potential equation for a multipole of order n:
1571077758073.png

I understand it is related with Dirac delta functions but a step by step solution might be helpful.Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read our guidelines here. We do not provide step-by-step solutions, but help you reach one after you show some effort at it.

sounds awesome but I really do not know were to start :D

Iriasrol said:
sounds awesome but I really do not know were to start :D
You start by researching "multipole expansion" on the web. Choose a site that suits your level of understanding. Try to relate what you read to this particular problem. Then if you have a specific question, post it here and, if it is well posed, someone is likely to answer it. Makes sense, no? By the way, what is the definition of ##d_i^n## and what is ##n## for a dipole in the "commonly known" equation?

Last edited:
For you to know it is the separation of the point charges constituting the n^th linear multipolar distribution on a multipolar moment of order n as its shown in this picture. And it is generalization for the COMMON dipole moment equation P=Qr. But sure you can start your research by looking for "dipole moment" on the web and choose a site that suits your level of understanding then you will find in a more complex definition the equation I wrote before...

Thanks for the help any way. If I am asking here its because I couldn't find exactly what I am looking for in a common basic electromagnetism book...
1571093683412.png

1. What is the equation for calculating dipole moment from electrostatic potential?

The dipole moment from electrostatic potential equation is μ = qd, where μ is the dipole moment, q is the magnitude of the charge, and d is the distance between the two charges.

2. How is dipole moment related to electrostatic potential?

Dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges in a system. It is directly proportional to the electrostatic potential difference between the two charges.

3. What is the unit of measurement for dipole moment from electrostatic potential?

The unit of measurement for dipole moment is coulomb-meter (C·m).

4. Can the dipole moment from electrostatic potential equation be applied to any system?

Yes, the dipole moment from electrostatic potential equation can be applied to any system of two charges, regardless of their size, shape, or distance from each other.

5. How is dipole moment from electrostatic potential used in scientific research?

Dipole moment is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of molecules and materials in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It is used to study the polarity of molecules, the strength of intermolecular forces, and the behavior of materials in electric fields.