Variable induced surface charge density on a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential due to a dipole at large distances and the surface charge density induced by an external electric field. The dipole moment and charge density are calculated and the relationship between surface charge density and electric field is recalled. The validity of the potential expression at distances near the sphere is questioned, but it is confirmed that the expression holds for all points outside the sphere. The electric field at the surface of the sphere is determined and the conversation concludes with a confirmation of understanding.
Apashanka

Homework Statement

IMG_20190114_192614.jpg

Homework Equations

While solving this problem at r >>a ,the corresponding potential due to the dipole is kpcosθ/r2(potential due a dipole) where k is the electrostatic constt. ...(1)

If σ(θ) is the surface charge density induced due to external electric field.
then the dipoel moment of the configuration is 2π∫σ(θ)a3sinθ cosθ dθ from 0 to π...(2)
Now comparing (1) with the right most term of potential given in question the dipole moment is p=4πε0a3
And comparing this with (2)
0=∫σ(θ)sin2θdθ from 0 to π.
Now the charge density at 30° is to be calculated .
will anyone please help me in sort out this.as I got stuck here.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• IMG_20190114_192614.jpg
    IMG_20190114_192614.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 2,000
Physics news on Phys.org
My hint would be to recall the relationship between σ and the electric field E for conductors in electrostatic equilibrium.

Likes Delta2
TSny said:
My hint would be to recall the relationship between σ and the electric field E for conductors in electrostatic equilibrium.
Yes that E=σ(θ)/ε0 near the conductor and kpcosθ/r2 far away from conductor where p is the dipole moment.
But then how to proceed??
Very near to the conductor surface is σ(θ)/ε0 radially and E0 along k

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
Yes that E=σ(θ)/ε0
Good. Find E at the surface of the sphere from the expression for ##\phi(r, θ)## that is given.

TSny said:
Good. Find E at the surface of the sphere from the expression for ##\phi(r, θ)## that is given.
But this potential is valid only for large distances ,that's why the induced charges on the sphere is considered to be dipole and hence the potential is due to a dipole,but for distances near the sphere the potential will not be the same.

Apashanka said:
But this potential is valid only for large distances
I believe it's correct for any point outside or on the sphere. I checked a couple of standard textbooks.

TSny said:
I believe it's correct for any point outside or on the sphere. I checked a couple of standard textbooks.
But it's given in the question that for r>> and also the potential form is coming to be same which is due to external field and dipole polarisation of the sphere (∝1/r2),
Near the sphere the there will not be any 1/r2 potential dependence.

Last edited:
Apashanka said:
But it's given in the question that for r>>a

I wasn't sure how to interpret the notation
upload_2019-1-15_0-14-50.png
. I'm not familiar with the symbol between the ##r## and the ##a##.

But, I still claim that the expression as given holds everywhere outside the sphere, including very near the surface and even on the surface of the sphere.

In the standard derivation, you use the boundary condition for very large ##r## in order to eliminate some of the terms in the infinite series expansion of ##\phi(r, \theta)##. But, the fact that you use a boundary condition for ##r \gg a## doesn't imply that the solution only holds for ##r \gg a##. Maybe this is not what you were thinking, but I am wondering why you feel that the given expression for ##\phi(r, \theta)## only holds for ##r \gg a##.

and also the potential form is coming to be same which is due to external field and dipole polarisation of the sphere(∝1/r2)
Near the sphere the there will not be any 1/r2 potential dependence.
What is the reason for stating this? The field outside the sphere due to the induced surface charge will be exactly like that of a dipole located at the center of the sphere.

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-15_0-14-50.png
    upload_2019-1-15_0-14-50.png
    573 bytes · Views: 351
TSny said:
Yes at the surface the electric field is 3kpcosθ/a3=σ(θ)/ε0
where k is the electrostatic constt.
and dipole moment p=4πε0a3E0
I got it now.
Thank you very much

OK. Good work.

Related to Variable induced surface charge density on a sphere

1. What is variable induced surface charge density on a sphere?

Variable induced surface charge density on a sphere is a phenomenon in which an electric field induces a charge on the surface of a conducting sphere. This charge density varies depending on the strength of the electric field and the properties of the sphere.

2. How is the variable induced surface charge density on a sphere calculated?

The variable induced surface charge density on a sphere can be calculated using the formula σ = χE, where σ is the surface charge density, χ is the electric susceptibility of the material, and E is the strength of the electric field.

3. What factors affect the variable induced surface charge density on a sphere?

The variable induced surface charge density on a sphere is affected by the strength of the electric field, the properties of the sphere (such as its size and material), and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

4. How does the variable induced surface charge density on a sphere impact the electric field inside the sphere?

The variable induced surface charge density on a sphere creates an electric field inside the sphere that is opposite in direction to the external electric field. This results in a redistribution of charges on the surface of the sphere and a decrease in the strength of the electric field inside the sphere.

5. What are some real-world applications of variable induced surface charge density on a sphere?

Variable induced surface charge density on a sphere is used in various technologies such as capacitors, which store electric charge, and in electrostatic precipitators, which remove particles from air. It is also important in understanding the behavior of lightning strikes and the Earth's magnetic field.