Dipole/quadrupole moments of wires in x-y plane

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
quasar_4
Messages
273
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two identical, infinitely thin, homogeneously charged cylinders (length L) are placed in the xy plane and form an angle phi (so that they make a V shape). Calculate the angle phi, for which the dipole contribution to the electric field potential at (x0,0,0) is exactly equal to the quadrupole contribution.

Homework Equations



Dipole moment:

[tex]\vec{p} = \int x' \rho(x') d^3 x'[/tex]

Quadrupole moment tensor

[tex]Q_{ij} = \int (3 x'_i x'_j - r'^2 \delta_{ij}) \rho(x') d^3 x'[/tex]

where the delta is the Kronecker delta.

The Attempt at a Solution



Each cylinder can be thought of as having a charge density lambda. So I thought, ok, we need to express the charge density in all space. To do this, I expressed the charge density everywhere using delta functions:

[tex]\rho(x) = \lambda \delta(z) \left[\delta(\phi) + \delta(\phi-\phi_0) \right][/tex]

and then I tried to find px, py, pz, and the components of Qij by integrating, using the vector x' = (x,y,z). I parameterized x, y, z using x = r cos(phi), y = r sin(phi), z=z, so that I could integrate in cylindrical coordinates.

But it got really complicated when I got to the quadrupole tensor components, and I've been told by my instructor that the answer should be simple, so I think this method might be wrong. Also, I don't know what to do once I *have* the components of p and Qij - I can't just equate them, as they aren't the same quantity physically. How would I use these components to find the angle phi?

Another approach might be to find the dipole and quadrupole terms for each wire separately, then add them together, but I don't quite understand how to do this, either.

Can anyone help? :confused: I've been stuck for hours and hours and this is due kind of soon...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar_4 said:

Homework Statement



Two identical, infinitely thin, homogeneously charged cylinders (length L) are placed in the xy plane and form an angle phi (so that they make a V shape). Calculate the angle phi, for which the dipole contribution to the electric field potential[/color] at (x0,0,0) is exactly equal to the quadrupole contribution.

Homework Equations



Dipole moment:

[tex]\vec{p} = \int x' \rho(x') d^3 x'[/tex]

Quadrupole moment tensor

[tex]Q_{ij} = \int (3 x'_i x'_j - r'^2 \delta_{ij}) \rho(x') d^3 x'[/tex]

Do you really need to calculate the quadrupole moment tensor to find the quadrupole contribution to the potential? :wink:

Each cylinder can be thought of as having a charge density lambda. So I thought, ok, we need to express the charge density in all space. To do this, I expressed the charge density everywhere using delta functions:

[tex]\rho(x) = \lambda \delta(z) \left[\delta(\phi) + \delta(\phi-\phi_0) \right][/tex]

This doesn't have the correct units...do you get [itex]2\lambda L[/itex] when you integrate this over all space?
 
Ah. Ok, here's my new thought. We can express the potential for each rod separately, then use superposition to add them together. This is given in a series of n, so we can find the dipole contribution using n = 1 and the quadrupole contribution using n = 2. Then equating them would give the angle phi. Is that right?
 
quasar_4 said:
Ah. Ok, here's my new thought. We can express the potential for each rod separately, then use superposition to add them together. This is given in a series of n, so we can find the dipole contribution using n = 1 and the quadrupole contribution using n = 2. Then equating them would give the angle phi. Is that right?

The dipole term is proportional to 1/r2 and the quadrupole term is proportional to 1/r3...other than that, it sounds like a good plan to me...