Dirac Contraction: Evaluating Propagators at Same Point

In summary, equal-time contractions are not covered by Wick's theorem and are associated with vacuum fluctuations in quantum field theory. The product of two field operators evaluated at the same spacetime point is divergent due to the anticommutation relation between the field and its conjugate momentum. Disconnected diagrams in quantum field theory do not contribute to thermodynamic functions and are cancelled out when calculating cumulants.
ghotra
I don't have pstricks...so I am going to use words.

[tex]
\text{contraction}\{ \overline{\psi}(x_1) \psi(x_1) \}
[/tex]

My question: Propogators are usually dealing with different points...but what is the contraction of two quantities evaluated at the same point.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wick's theorem doesn't apply when you have equal-time contractions. I haven't learned this yet, but these equal-time contractions are somehow lumped into the interacting vacuum state.

Is this correct?

Wildly infinite. Seriously though, the the fact that the anticommutation relation between the field and its conjugate momentum is proportional to a delta function should make it clear that the product of two field operators evaluated at the same spacetime point is divergent.

And yes, propagators evaluated at the same space time point can be associated with vacuum fluctuations. They generally have the meaning of some kind of self energy. For example, in [tex] \phi^4 [/tex] theory you can have disconnected figure eights and so forth, these are vacuum fluctuations. You can also have a line with a loop attached in the middle at a single point, such diagrams represent self interaction.

Last edited:
So on a related question, if I were trying to evaluate some sort of thermodynamic potential, what would the disconnected diagrams contribute, if anything? What would the physical interpretation be?

In short: Disconnected diagrams always contribute nothing to thermodynamic functions.

In detail: The linked cluster theorem guarantees that such diagrams exponentiate and factorize. The partition function is determined by all the diagrams, connected or not. However, thermodynamic information is contained in the log of the partition function. This log has a special name (besides being the free energy): it is the cumulant generating function (the partition function is the moment generating function). The linked cluster theorem tells you that disconnected diagrams always cancel when calculating the cumulants (which contain the thermodynamic information).

This is off topic, but Physics Monkey, have you read the private message I sent you. Sorry to disrupt anything.

1. What is Dirac Contraction?

Dirac Contraction is a mathematical operation that involves evaluating the propagators at the same point in a Feynman diagram. It is used in quantum field theory to simplify calculations and make them more manageable.

2. Why is Dirac Contraction important?

Dirac Contraction is important because it allows for the simplification of complex Feynman diagrams, making them easier to calculate. It also helps in understanding the underlying symmetries and interactions in quantum field theory.

3. How is Dirac Contraction performed?

Dirac Contraction is performed by multiplying the propagators at the same point in a Feynman diagram and then summing over all possible intermediate states. This results in a single term that represents the combined effect of all the intermediate states.

4. What are the advantages of using Dirac Contraction?

The main advantage of using Dirac Contraction is that it simplifies calculations in quantum field theory, making them more manageable and easier to understand. It also helps in identifying symmetries and interactions in the underlying theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using Dirac Contraction?

While Dirac Contraction is a useful tool in simplifying calculations, it can also introduce errors if not performed correctly. Additionally, it may not be applicable in all cases, and other methods may be needed to evaluate propagators at the same point.