Dirac delta function - its confusing

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of the Dirac delta function, with two contrasting definitions being discussed. The first definition states that the function is infinite at x=x0, while the second states that it tends to infinite as x tends to x0. The group agrees that the first definition is correct and that the delta function is not a function but a distribution. The conversation also touches on the integral of the delta function and its properties. The posters suggest using the fact that delta(x-x0) = 0 for all x not equal to x0 to derive the second definition, but also caution against treating the delta function as a regular function.
janakiraman
Hi

I have been trying to learn dirac delta function. but its kind of confusing. I come across 2 contrasting definitions for it. The first one states that the function delta(x-xo) is infinite at x=x0 while the other states that delta(x-x0) tends to infinite as x tends to x0. Now both of them are different and I'm not sure which one of the two is correct

Also alternatively, the integral of the delta function from -infinity to +infinity is 1. Now in that case since the value is 0 everywhere except x0, does this means the integral of the delta function between an interval (a b) which contains the x0 is also 1?

Also the second definition of delta function is integral between -infinity to +infinity F(x')delta(x-x')dx' is F(x). Can i derive this second definition from the above definitions? Because if its consistent, i must be able to derive this from the previous definitions right?

I would be happy if somebody could throw light on this question of mine

Physics news on Phys.org
janakiraman said:
I have been trying to learn dirac delta function. but its kind of confusing. I come across 2 contrasting definitions for it. The first one states that the function delta(x-xo) is infinite at x=x0 while the other states that delta(x-x0) tends to infinite as x tends to x0. Now both of them are different and I'm not sure which one of the two is correct

The first definition is correct. I think you might have misread the second definition.

Also alternatively, the integral of the delta function from -infinity to +infinity is 1. Now in that case since the value is 0 everywhere except x0, does this means the integral of the delta function between an interval (a b) which contains the x0 is also 1?

Yes.

Also the second definition of delta function is integral between -infinity to +infinity F(x')delta(x-x')dx' is F(x). Can i derive this second definition from the above definitions? Because if its consistent, i must be able to derive this from the previous definitions right

Yes. Try to use the fact that delta(x-x0) = 0 for all x not equal to x0.

The dirac delta is not a function.

It doesn't make sense to ask if it has a value at x0.

(Even if it did, how would you tell [itex]\delta(x - x_0)[/itex] apart from [itex]2 \delta(x - x_0)[/itex]?)

Ben Niehoff said:
Yes. Try to use the fact that delta(x-x0) = 0 for all x not equal to x0.
No, you can't.

First of all, under many formalizations, the integral would be nonsensical if F is discontinuous at 0, so at the very least you have to make that assumption.

Secondly, the previously defined properties do not (apparently) distinguish between [itex]\delta(x - x_0)[/itex] and [itex]\delta(x - x_0) + \delta'(x - x_0)[/itex]... however, replacing the former with the latter would change the value of the integral.

Hurkyl said:
The dirac delta is not a function.

Yeah, but 'Dirac delta distribution' is just way too alliterative.

alxm said:
Yeah, but 'Dirac delta distribution' is just way too alliterative.
The point is that the opening poster shouldn't be treating it exactly like a function. Distributions bear many arithmetic similarities to functions, but you get into all sorts of problems when you try to push the analogy too far. (e.g. by asking things like "what value does it have at x0?")

I think the replies leave me confused. I understand Dirac delta function is not a function and its a distribution. So that means its just a tool which can simplify my integral and its transformations. But then again can I define a distribution as and how I like? or does it has to confine to any rules?

Hi arildno. That was a very nice post. Thank you very much for the link.

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, denoted by δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero for all values of x except at x=0, where it is infinite. It is often referred to as a "function" or a "distribution" because it is not a traditional function in the usual sense, but rather a generalized function that can be used to model certain physical phenomena.

2. How is the Dirac delta function used in science?

The Dirac delta function is commonly used in science and engineering to model point-like objects, such as particles or charges, that have a concentrated effect at a specific location. It is also used in signal processing and differential equations to represent impulse or sudden changes in a system.

3. Why is the Dirac delta function confusing?

The Dirac delta function can be confusing because it is not a traditional function and its behavior at x=0 is not intuitive. Additionally, it is often used in conjunction with integrals and derivatives, which can be challenging to understand for those who are not familiar with advanced mathematics.

4. Can the Dirac delta function be graphed?

No, the Dirac delta function cannot be graphed in the traditional sense because it is infinite at x=0 and zero everywhere else. However, it can be represented graphically as a spike or a pulse at x=0 to illustrate its properties and applications.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function has many applications in science and engineering, including modeling point-like objects in quantum mechanics, representing impulse forces in mechanical systems, and analyzing electrical circuits with sudden changes in voltage or current. It is also used in image processing, signal analysis, and control systems.