Dirac Equation for a moving square potential well

In summary, the speaker has recently learned the Dirac equation and has successfully solved it for a free particle. They were then asked to solve it for a free particle with momentum, which they found in Greiner's book. They are now tasked with solving the Dirac equation for a square potential well, both in the stationary and moving frames. They are seeking guidance on how to solve the equation for a moving potential well and are open to any references or resources. The conversation also briefly mentions the invariance of the Dirac equation under Lorentz transformations.
haaj86
Hi, I have learned the Dirac equation recently and I managed to solve it for a free particle (following Greiner book “relativistic quantum mechanics” and Paul Strange book “Relativistic Quantum Mechanics”). I was asked to solve the Dirac equation in the stationary frame for a free particle (no potential and zero momentum) and transform the solution to that of a free particle with momentum. I found the solution for this on page 157 of Greiner’s book.

Now I have to do the same thing but with a square potential well, starting by a stationary potential well (with the solutions given in Strange’s Chap 9 page 263-267, Greiner Chap 9 page 197-199) which I understand, and then solve the Dirac equation for the same square potential moving at a constant velocity let’s say in the x-direction and find the transformation for the two solutions. I really have no clue on how to solve the Dirac equation for a moving potential well. I think that I have to set the boundary conditions moving at a constant velocity but I am not sure what I should do next.

I know that the calculation is nasty for this problem, but all I am asking for is if anybody know the strategy to use in order to solve the Dirac equation for a moving potential well, give me as much references as you can, papers, books.

Physics news on Phys.org
haaj86 said:
Hi, I have learned the Dirac equation recently and I managed to solve it for a free particle (following Greiner book “relativistic quantum mechanics” and Paul Strange book “Relativistic Quantum Mechanics”). I was asked to solve the Dirac equation in the stationary frame for a free particle (no potential and zero momentum) and transform the solution to that of a free particle with momentum. I found the solution for this on page 157 of Greiner’s book.

Now I have to do the same thing but with a square potential well, starting by a stationary potential well (with the solutions given in Strange’s Chap 9 page 263-267, Greiner Chap 9 page 197-199) which I understand, and then solve the Dirac equation for the same square potential moving at a constant velocity let’s say in the x-direction and find the transformation for the two solutions. I really have no clue on how to solve the Dirac equation for a moving potential well. I think that I have to set the boundary conditions moving at a constant velocity but I am not sure what I should do next.

I know that the calculation is nasty for this problem, but all I am asking for is if anybody know the strategy to use in order to solve the Dirac equation for a moving potential well, give me as much references as you can, papers, books.

What happens to the Dirac equation it self when the coordinates in it (also in derivatives) are transformed according to the Lorentz transform? I was told, but never checked it, that Diracs equation is invariant under such transform, but it semes you think not. My tip: Do the transform in 1D and see what you get, and then see if that change the box-potential in some way

Actually I know that the Dirac equation is invariant under the Lorentz transformation, and I went through the proof. But, the four components of the wave function do not form a 4-vector and so the solutions are not invariant under the Lorentz transformation. However, I know the transformation to use in order to transform the solution from one frame to another and I am going to try and do that for the square potential well, but my question is how to solve the Dirac equation starting with the moving potential which should at the end give the same answer to the transformed solution.

1. What is the Dirac Equation for a moving square potential well?

The Dirac Equation for a moving square potential well is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a particle with both relativistic and quantum mechanical properties. It takes into account the effects of a square potential well on a particle's energy and momentum.

2. How does the Dirac Equation differ from the Schrodinger Equation?

The Dirac Equation differs from the Schrodinger Equation in that it is a more accurate description of the behavior of particles with high energies and speeds. It also accounts for the spin of particles, while the Schrodinger Equation does not.

3. What is a potential well and how does it affect the behavior of particles?

A potential well is a region in space where the potential energy of a particle is lower than its surrounding areas. In the case of a square potential well, the particle is confined within the boundaries of the well and its behavior is affected by the potential energy within those boundaries.

4. How does the movement of a potential well affect the behavior of particles described by the Dirac Equation?

The movement of a potential well can cause changes in the energy and momentum of particles described by the Dirac Equation. This is due to the interaction between the particle and the changing potential energy within the well.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Dirac Equation for a moving square potential well?

The Dirac Equation for a moving square potential well has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, particle physics, and quantum computing. It is also used in the study of high-energy physics and in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and semiconductors.