Dirac ket-bra simplification over here.

• Thread starter M. next
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dirac
In summary, the conversation discusses how to manipulate bras and kets, the orthogonality condition in Section 4.4 of Sakurai, and the implications of duality. It is noted that \langle a''|a' \rangle = 1 if a=a'' and 0 otherwise when taking orthogonality into consideration. This leads to a summation of 1 when a'' = a' and 0 for all other summations. The conversation ends with a question about whether there is anything missing to go from line two to line three.
M. next
I usually know how to manipulate bras and kets. But I probably found difficulty because of the double summation. How did Sakurai manage to go from the second line to the ird line in the attachment?

SECTION 4.4 in Sakurai.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
Using the orthogonality condition

Last edited:
Along with UU = I.

How come? If so I will end up with a zero, no?

I was thinking about taking duality but that didn't seem to work.

M. next said:
How come? If so I will end up with a zero, no?
No. What is [itex]\langle a''|a' \rangle[/itex] equal to and what does this imply for [itex] \Sigma_{a''} \langle a''|a' \rangle[/itex]?

It is equal to 1 if a=a'' and 0 otherwise if we take orthogonality into consideration.. It implies that the summation = 1 when a'' = a' and 0 for all the other summations. Right?

Yes. If you put Bill's comment and this together, do you still miss something to go from line two to line three?

1. What is a Dirac ket-bra?

A Dirac ket-bra is a mathematical notation used in quantum mechanics to represent a vector and its dual vector. It consists of a "ket" vector, written as |v>, and a "bra" dual vector, written as <v|. Together, they form a matrix called a ket-bra.

2. How is Dirac ket-bra simplification used?

Dirac ket-bra simplification is used to simplify complex mathematical expressions involving ket-bras. It involves applying the properties of bra and ket vectors, such as linearity and orthogonality, to simplify the expression into a more manageable form.

3. What are the benefits of using Dirac ket-bra simplification?

One of the main benefits of using Dirac ket-bra simplification is that it allows for easier manipulation and calculation of quantum mechanical equations. It also helps to reveal the underlying structure and relationships between different vectors and states, making it a useful tool for theoretical and computational work in quantum mechanics.

4. Are there any limitations to Dirac ket-bra simplification?

While Dirac ket-bra simplification is a powerful tool, it is not applicable to all quantum mechanical systems. It is most commonly used for systems with discrete energy levels, and may not be as effective for systems with continuous energy spectra. Additionally, it may not be suitable for systems with large numbers of particles.

5. Can Dirac ket-bra simplification be used in other fields besides quantum mechanics?

Yes, the principles of Dirac ket-bra simplification can also be applied in other fields such as signal processing and linear algebra. The concept of a dual vector is a general mathematical concept that can be used in various applications, not just quantum mechanics.