Understanding the Purpose of Dirac Spin Matrices

In summary, the Dirac equation can be broken down into 4 component equations for the wave function. It has 4 solutions, with the first two being positive energy solutions and the next two being negative energy solutions. Setting the momentum to zero does not affect the presence of spin, as spin is an intrinsic property independent of momentum. In a relativistic theory, such as quantum field theory, the formalism is the same for zero momentum as for non-zero momentum. Spin is about symmetry and is defined by the representation of the rotation group for particle modes at zero momentum. In quantum mechanics, there are two types of angular momentum: intrinsic spin and orbital angular momentum. While orbital angular momentum is defined in terms of momentum and thus becomes zero at
DiracPool
So, we can break down the Dirac equation into 4 "component" equations for the wave function.

I was going to post a question here a few days ago asking if a fermion (electron) could possesses a "spin" even if it were at rest, I.e., p=0.

I did an internet scan, though, and found out that, indeed, you can have zero momentum and still be in a spin up or down state.

Why is that?

What's the purpose of the Pauli "spin" matrices if you don't need them to imbue a particle with spin? What's their purpose? From what I gather from Viascience, if you're in a rest state, you can be in "pure" up or down spin state, but once you start moving, you confound that pure state when you start moving and add momentum to the equation.

But, my central question remains. The Dirac equation is a 4 component coupled equation with 4 solutions. The first two are positive energy solutions and the next two are negative energy solutions. However, if you set the momentum to zero, there doesn't seem to be anything in the math that would suggest a "spin." Having a spin would seem to be a 3-D property. Once you set the momentum to zero, it seems as if the contribution of the spin matrices are irrelevant.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps there is something intrinsic to the two (say positive energy) solutions that imbue a spin up or spin down character just by virtue of the equation itself?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DiracPool said:
you can have zero momentum and still be in a spin up or down state.

Why is that?

I'm not sure why this is a problem, physically speaking. What's wrong with having a spin 1/2 particle with zero momentum?

It might be that the non-relativistic formulation of the Dirac equation is confusing you. Bear in mind that that is only an approximation; the more exact underlying theory is quantum field theory, which for spin 1/2 particles means the relativistic Dirac equation:

$$
\left[ i \gamma^\mu \left( \partial_\mu + i e A_\mu \right) - m \right] \psi = 0
$$

Here ##\gamma^\mu## are a set of four 4 x 4 matrices, the Dirac matrices; they are the relativistic generalization of the Pauli spin matrices. Since they include a "time component" ##\gamma^0## as well as the "space components" ##\gamma^1##, ##\gamma^2##, ##\gamma^3##, the formalism is exactly the same for the case of zero momentum as for the case of nonzero momentum. In a relativistic theory these cases aren't fundamentally different anyway, it's just a choice of reference frame with no difference physically.

Likes bhobba
PeterDonis said:
What's wrong with having a spin 1/2 particle with zero momentum?

Don't you need three (space) dimensions (or at least two) to have angular momentum? I guess that's my dilemma. Spin is about angular momentum and I don't see how you get that when you set p=0.

See the following - things will be a LOT clearer:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3319192000/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I am studying it right now and it has cleared up a lot for me eg the exact assumption being made in deriving Maxwell's equations from SU(1) symmetry.

Actually spin is about symmetry where its defined as j1+j2 from the generators of the Poincare group (see page 85 of the above book).

Thanks
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DiracPool
DiracPool said:
Don't you need three (space) dimensions (or at least two) to have angular momentum?

There are three. What's the problem?

DiracPool said:
Spin is about angular momentum and I don't see how you get that when you set p=0.

Quantum angular momentum does not mean some little billiard ball is actually spinning about an axis. Nor does the linear momentum p being zero have anything to do with the number of space dimensions. So I still don't understand what the problem is.

Likes DiracPool and bhobba
For a massive particle spin is defined by the representation of the rotation group (or more precisely its covering group SU(2)) for the particle modes at ##\vec{p}=0##. This induces a complete representation of the orthochronous special Poincare group via Wigner's construction of the momentum eigenstates for ##\vec{p} \neq 0## via boosts. See Weinberg, Quantum Theory of Fields, vol. 1 or appendix B in my QFT script:

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/lect.pdf

Likes bhobba
DiracPool said:
Don't you need three (space) dimensions (or at least two) to have angular momentum? I guess that's my dilemma. Spin is about angular momentum and I don't see how you get that when you set p=0.

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum comes in two types: Intrinsic angular momentum (spin), and "orbital" angular momentum.

Orbital angular momentum is indeed defined in terms of momentum: [itex]\vec{L} = \vec{r} \times \vec{p}[/itex]. So if [itex]\vec{p} = 0[/itex], then [itex]\vec{L} = 0[/itex]. Intrinsic spin is independent of momentum.

Likes vanhees71 and bhobba

1. What are Dirac spin matrices?

Dirac spin matrices are a set of mathematical tools used in quantum mechanics to describe the spin of particles. They were developed by physicist Paul Dirac in the 1920s and are essential for understanding the behavior of elementary particles, such as electrons and quarks.

2. What is the purpose of Dirac spin matrices?

The purpose of Dirac spin matrices is to describe the spin state of particles and how they interact with other particles and fields. They are used in calculations to predict the behavior of particles in quantum systems and are fundamental in the study of quantum mechanics.

3. How many Dirac spin matrices are there?

There are four Dirac spin matrices, denoted by the symbols αx, αy, αz, and β. Each matrix has a dimension of 4x4 and represents a different aspect of a particle's spin, such as spin orientation and spin projection.

4. Are Dirac spin matrices essential for understanding quantum mechanics?

Yes, Dirac spin matrices are essential for understanding quantum mechanics. They are used extensively in calculations and equations that describe the behavior of particles in quantum systems. Without them, our understanding of quantum mechanics would be incomplete.

5. What other fields of science utilize Dirac spin matrices?

Aside from quantum mechanics, Dirac spin matrices are also used in fields such as particle physics, condensed matter physics, and nuclear physics. They are also used in engineering and technology, particularly in the development of quantum computing and other quantum technologies.