Direction of the force on a conductor in a solenoid

In summary, this expert summarizer provides a summary of the content and recommends following post 9 to better understand the content.
Richie Smash
Hi I have attached a picture here, of a solenoid with a copper block connected to a battery suspended in it.

The current moving is clockwise, So the magnetic poles would be as shown.

Now my problem always is this, I get so confused with this, I used Fleming's left hand rule to find the direction of the force acting on the copper, and I get upwards.

But something tells me it is downwards, is there some way I could do this more easily?

Attachments

• 33.png
    33.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a force on the copper block ?

Yes there must be, because in the case I'm getting it from, the block is the conductor connected to a battery, and it is inside the magnetic field of the solenoid.

Richie Smash said:
in the case I'm getting it from
What case is that ? A lab experiment, a textbook exercise, ... ?

Looks like you are short-circuiting the battery and the current is in the same direction as the magnetic field of the solenoid. Correct me if I interpret the picture in the wrong way.

Hi, Sorry for being vague, it's from a question.

But I did not post in th ehomework section because, I completed the question, I just do not have a firm grasp on determining the direction of force on a current carrying conductor in a magnetic field.

I really do find it confusing, here is a photo of the original diagram, saying a copper rod connected to a battery is suspended in the centre of a magnetic field of a solenoid.

I think the force will go Up, but I have a feeling I'm wrong, all these right hand and left hand rules are confusing.

Attachments

• 20180119_083528.jpeg
    20180119_083528.jpeg
    33.6 KB · Views: 639
Richie Smash said:
Hi I have attached a picture here, of a solenoid with a copper block connected to a battery suspended in it.

The current moving is clockwise, So the magnetic poles would be as shown.

Now my problem always is this, I get so confused with this, I used Fleming's left hand rule to find the direction of the force acting on the copper, and I get upwards.

But something tells me it is downwards, is there some way I could do this more easily?
Yes. Currents pointing to same direction attract. Currents pointing to the opposite directions repel.

Likes Richie Smash
So it would move downward then in this case?

Richie Smash said:
So it would move downward then in this case?
Yep.

Likes Richie Smash
Richie Smash said:
all these right hand and left hand rules are confusing.
I sympathize, and propose to drop, forget and bury everything with "left hand" in it. For good.

Learn about a vector product (corkscrew rule works for me) and memorize two laws: the most important one is for the Lorentz force:$$
\vec F_L = q\;(\vec E+\vec v\times\vec B\,) $$ and the other is
$$ d\vec B = I \times d\vec l $$(this last one with some constants and some r dependency, of course :smile:)

Old thread here

Thanks BVU, I'm going to have to learn about that in detail eventually, but from what I've read so far, I know the current in the picture i posted is then moving in the positive x direction, and the magnetic field the postive y direction, so therefore the resulting vector Force would be in the negative z direction?

Funny, I don't see no ##x,y,z## directions defined ... :rolleyes: and my telepathic capabilities fail me altogether.
From your wording I suspect your coordinate system is different from what I would impose.
Please clarify.

Hmm well ok, in the picture , A is the South Pole and B is the North pole, of the magnetic field.
So from the A to the B straight down the middle is the direction of the magnetic field, so this is the postive Y direction as i picture it.

So I believe the current, will also be going in the postive x direction from the battery at the top of the suspending wires.

Now Since the two are going in the postive, that means the resultant force is in the Negative Z, or down yes?

Last edited:
Richie Smash said:
A is the South Pole and B is the North pole,
Contradicts
upload_2018-1-19_21-5-44.png

from http://onlinephys.haplosciences.com/magnetism.html (who took it from McGraw-Hill...)

Richie Smash said:
the current, will also be going in the postive x direction
In the copper block it goes towards the viewer, so if you call that the positive x-axis, the direction of the z+ axis is downward.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-19_21-5-44.png
    upload_2018-1-19_21-5-44.png
    24.8 KB · Views: 889

I had watched this video, and that''s how I made my assumption, as she said if the current in going clockwise, the South Pole is on the left hand side.

See and follow post #9
Clockwise and anticlockwise are confusing terms. In your picture the direction is opposite from that in the video.

BvU said:
See and follow post #9
Clockwise and anticlockwise are confusing terms. In your picture the direction is opposite from that in the video.

Ok, I see was picturing the direction a lot in my head and perhaps I got it wrong, I will definitely spend a lot of time on post 9 then, I'm unfamiliar with the concepts so I will have to do it.

Last edited:

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that is typically wound in a helix shape. It is commonly used in electronic devices to create a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it.

2. How does a solenoid create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field because the moving charges in the wire generate a magnetic field.

3. What is the direction of the force on a conductor in a solenoid?

The force on a conductor in a solenoid is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. It follows the right-hand rule, where if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field, and the force will push away from your palm.

4. Does the direction of the current affect the force on a conductor in a solenoid?

Yes, the direction of the current does affect the force on a conductor in a solenoid. Reversing the direction of the current will also reverse the direction of the force.

5. How can the force on a conductor in a solenoid be increased?

The force on a conductor in a solenoid can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field or the current flowing through the solenoid. Additionally, increasing the number of turns in the coil or the length of the solenoid can also increase the force.