Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of Motion of Electrons

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    Can somebody tell me about it?

Does it has anything to with antimatter?

Thanks a bunch

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2
    Your question is broad in scope. How about.........motion is "often" from greater electronegetivity to lesser electronegetivity,(a broad answer for a broad question).

Your periodic table is a good place to start learning about electrons. Their motion can be complicated and is often figured as a probability.

Ill leave the antimatter part for my more learned colleagues.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  4. Oct 8, 2009 #3
    So does Antimatter have anything to do there?

So if somebody ask about the direction of motion of electrons specially at last orbital then what do we response?

5. Oct 9, 2009 #4
    Methinks your question is still waaayyy too broad. Anti-what?, Anti-Proton?, Anti-Electron?

Last Orbital of what? Copper?, Plutonium?

Direction of motion, meaning vector?, from what?, magnetic field?, Anti-Proton?

6. Oct 9, 2009 #5
    If somebody asks about the direction of motion of electrons, specially at last orbital then do not bring up antimatter.

The motion of electron in the orbitals was initially modelled as similar to the motion of planets around the sun. (Niel Bohr's model) In quantum mechanics it is described as probability wave function.

7. Oct 9, 2009 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your question is not only horribly vague, it is also puzzling.

I accelerate electrons. I can change their directions very easily. Why would this have anything to do with antimatter? Does that mean that each time I change the direction of motion of electrons, I'm doing something to its counterpart? How is that justified?

What is the "last orbital" of an atom?

Electrons in atoms don't really have a classical motion. Please read an entry in the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook