1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional Derivative Equal to Zero

1. Mar 15, 2013 #1
    The problem states:

"In what direction is the directional derivative of [tex]f(x,y) = \frac{x^2 - y^2}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex] at (1,1) equal to zero?"

I know that ##D_uf = \nabla{f}\cdot{{\bf{u}}}##. I believe the problem simply is asking for me to determine what vector ##{\bf{u}}## will yield zero. Thus:
    [tex]\nabla{f} = \left\langle\frac{4xy^2}{{(x^2 + y^2)}^2},\frac{-4{x^2}y}{{(x^2 + y^2)}^2}\right\rangle[/tex]
    At the point (1,1), we get ##\nabla{f} = \left\langle{1},{-1}\right\rangle##. From here, I think that a vector taken with the dot product of ##\left\langle{1},{-1}\right\rangle## to give zero would be ##\left\langle{1},{1}\right\rangle##. I'm not sure if it's that simple though because I could also say that ##\left\langle{0},{0}\right\rangle## gives zero, too. Perhaps my justification is flawed? Much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming your derivative is right it looks good except why would you say <0,0> gives zero? Also besides <1,1>, what about its opposite?

4. Mar 16, 2013 #3
    True. I guess I was thinking that the problem was seeking a single answer. As for the former, ##\left\langle{0},{0}\right\rangle \cdot \left\langle{1},{-1}\right\rangle = 0##, but I suppose that's not really even a "direction" at all... ><

5. Mar 16, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

While it's true that ##\left\langle{0},{0}\right\rangle \cdot \left\langle{1},{-1}\right\rangle = 0##, what point ##(x,y)## have you found where ##\nabla f(x,y) = \langle 0,0\rangle##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted