1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Directional derivative of a surface

1. Sep 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the directional derivative of the function z = x3 - y at the point (1, 2, -1) and in the direction of a vector (1,1,1)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If f(x,y) = x3 - y, then ∇f = (3x2, -1) which equals (3, -1) at the given point. Now I understand I have to take the dot product of the gradient with the unit vector (1/√3, 1/√3, 1/√3) but I'm not quite sure how to...

Can a function like z = f(x,y) have a directional derivative in the direction of a three dimensional vector?

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2
    You are right, you cannot take the directional derivative of f(x,y) in the direction of a vector in three dimensions (unless the z component is zero, in which case you sort of can).

4. Sep 5, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The surface [itex]z= x^3- y[/itex] is given by [itex]x\vec{i}+ y\vec{j}+ (x^3- y)\vec{k}[/itex] the gradient of that vector gives the normal vector and you can take the dot product of that with a unit vector in the direction of [itex]\vec{i}+ \vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex]- but I would NOT call that a "directional derivative".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook